Palak Shorba, Punjabi Spinach Soup
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 26 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 48734 times
Punjab is often known as the Land of Abundance! Lush green fields full of wholesome and healthy vegetables and grain cover Punjab’s landscape. Thus it is evident why Punjabi cooking makes use of healthy and leafy green vegetables.
Palak or spinach is full of nutritional goodness and can make any dish attractive by giving it a lovely bright green colour.
Palak shorba is a fresh and spicy delicacy that can be savoured hot garnished with some ginger. The milk added to this recipe makes it creamy, while the mint and lemon juice combine to add just the required amount of freshness!
You can also try other shorbas like the Moong Dal ka Shorba and Tomato Shorba .
- Boil 2 cups of water in a pan. Add the spinach and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and keep aside to cool.
- Combine the spinach, mint leaves and green chillies and blend in a mixer to a smooth purée.
- Transfer it into a deep pan, add the milk and 1½ cups of water and bring to boil.
- Add the salt, black pepper powder and lemon juice, mix well and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
- For the tempering, heat the ghee in a small pan, add the garlic and sauté till it turns golden brown.
- Add this tempering to the palak shorba. Mix well and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with ginger juliennes.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.