Tomato Shorba ( Desi Khana)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 152 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 70336 times
tomato shorba recipe | tomato and coconut milk soup | healthy tomato shorba | with 20 amazing images.
tomato shorba is a tangy soup made from tomatoes and coconut milk, mildly spiced with cumin seeds and green chillies. Ingredients for tomato shorba are easily available in every Indian kitchen.
The addition of jaggery imparts a slight sweetness and reduces the sourness of tomatoes, making the tomato shorba soup all the more pleasing to the palate.
Notes and tips to make the perfect tomato shorba. 1. To make the tomato shorba, in a deep non-stick pan, add the tomatoes. Always make use of red plump tomatoes to get a pleasant tangy flavour. 2. Strain the mixture using a strainer and keep aside. This is done so we have a smooth tomato shorba. 3. Add the besan. This gives little thickness to the soup.
Let’s see why this is a healthy tomato shorba ? Coconut milk contains some amount of potassium which is beneficial for those with high blood pressure .The lauric acid present in coconut milk has a positive effect on cholesterol levels improves heart health too. Tomatoes are a powerful antioxidant, super rich in vitamin C, good for heart. Tomatoes are a Pregnant women's friend and are rich in Folate or Folic Acid which helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially red blood cells.
Serve Indian tomato shorba hot.
Learn to make tomato shorba recipe | tomato and coconut milk soup | healthy tomato shorba | with step by step photos below.
- To make tomato shorba, combine the tomatoes and 1½ cups of water in a deep non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till the tomatoes turn soft.
- Allow them to cool completely and blend in a mixer to a smooth mixture.
- Strain the mixture using a strainer and keep aside.
- Combine the coconut milk and besan in a bowl, mix well using a whisk and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and green chillies and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the tomato purée, coconut milk-besan mixture, jaggery and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Serve the tomato shorba hot.
Tomato Shorba Video by Tarla Dalal
Tomato Shorba ( Desi Khana) recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.