Avocado is considered as a ‘superfood’ due to its rich nutrient composition. Its healthy fats, fiber and antioxidants makes it one of the healthy fruit. It is incredibly gaining importance amongst all the health conscious.
Almond and Avocado Toast, Toasted Almond Bread Topped with Avocados
Also called as Makhanphal or Kulu Nashpati, Avocado is a large, fleshy pear-shaped berry. It has a single large seed surrounded by buttery pulp and hard skin. The outer skin is yellowish-green to maroon or purple in colour, while the soft flesh is a pale yellow-green. The flesh has a texture similar to a firm ripe banana, smooth and buttery, with a faintly nutty flavour.
Avocado Salad ( Recipe For Shiny Hair)
What’s impressive about Avocado is that it’s a fruit so it requires no cooking. You can enjoy it in the form of Guacamole – the most famous Mexican Dip. Alternatively you can just chop it or remove the pulp and enjoy with a slight sprinkle of salt.
Guacamole, Mexican Avocado Dip
7 Super Health Benefits of Avocado
1. Antioxidant Gallore : Lutein and Glutathione are the main antioxidants in avocado which work towards building a healthy YOU. The main job of antioxidants is to prevent free radicals damage to the cells. These free radicals, which are formed due to metabolism, stress, pollution etc., if not warded off have the power to damage cells of the body. Try a complete antioxidant drink like Avocado Kale and Mango Pulp Smoothie.
Avocado Kale and Mango Pulp Smoothie
2. Vitalizes the Skin & Promotes Vision : Vitamin E, another antioxidant, plays an important role in a youthful skin. Vitamin E increases the moisture and flexibility of your skin. By keeping your skin healthy, it makes you look younger and feel better. It also helps treat sun burn. Furthermore, vitamin C, a water soluble vitamin also contributes in skin health.
Avocado and Cherry Tomato Crostini
It participates in collagen synthesis – a protein highly needed to maintain the elasticity of the skin. Avocado Grapefruit and Strawberry Salad fulfills 69% of your days requirement for vitamin C and 8% of requirement of vitamin E. These 2 vitamins along with protein from Avocado also improve vision and reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration and cataract too.
Avocado Grapefruit and Strawberry Salad
3. Optimally Manage Weight : The fiber (5 g) and the healthy fats (11 g) along with low carbs (6.3 g) aids in weight loss. Fiber takes the longest time to digest and gives you a feeling of satiety for long hours. If you are on a low carb diet intending for quick weight loss, then avocados are your best friend. Moreover, avocados are a good source of protein (1.5 g) as well. This helps boost your overall metabolism and assist in weight loss. Try the Avocado Broccoli and Bell Pepper Lunch Salad, instead of carb laden foods.
Avocado, Broccoli and Bellpepper Lunch Salad
4. Combats Constipation : Avocados are rich in fiber and for this reason they promote gut health. Apart from papaya, fresh figs and pineapple as natural laxatives, avocado is also a fruit which helps to bind the stools and help in their easy movement through the digestive tract, thus preventing constipation. Don’t believe it? Try the power of this fruit from Nature’s healthy basket by way of Avocado and Tomato Healthy Salad.
Avocado and Tomato Salad, Healthy and Quick Salad
5. Advocates Heart Health : Eating a poor diet is a steadfast way to an unhealthy heart. Give your body the essential key nutrients to maintain heart health and in turn overall health. Avocado is one health-heart fruit which you must not miss out on adding to your diet.
Blueberry Avocado Vegan Smoothie, Healthy Breakfast
You can have it in the form of Avocado Dip as a variation. They are rich in monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA) which help to manage the cholesterol levels within normal limits. They also help reduce inflammation in the body and prevent blockage of arteries – one of the main reasons for heart attacks. Further, avocados also have a good ratio of potassium to sodium. A high potassium and low sodium ingredient enables to keep your blood pressure stable, which helps to stave off heart disease and stroke both.
Corn Chips with Salsa and Avocado Dip, Jain Salsa
6. Dodges Cancer : Yes, avocados are cancer preventive. Research suggests that all the antioxidants from avocado inhibit cancer cell growth due to their power to reduce inflammation. They benefit the skin, heart, liver, kidney and all the organs of the body.
Quinoa Avocado Veg Healthy Office Salad
In fact, those have existing cancer, can also add avocados to their diet. Avocado Spinach Vegan Smoothie is good for Cancer patients who often have mouth sores, nausea or loss or appetite. It will help fight the cancer cells and prevent their multiplication. Check list of other Foods for Cancer.
Avocado Spinach Vegan Smoothie Recipe, Healthy Smoothie
7. Observe Blood Sugar Control : Though avocados are high in fats, they are all healthy fats – MUFA, as mentioned earlier. These MUFA along with its high fiber and low carb counts is perfect for a diabetic diet. MUFA not only promote healthy cholesterol levels and blood pressure, but they also improve insulin sensitivity to help manage diabetes.
Avocado during snack time will meet all your nutritional needs while avoiding those dangerous spikes in the sugar levels. Kale and Avocado Salad with a olive oil and lemon juice dressing will surely not fail to please you.
Kale and Avocado Healthy Salad
Get acquainted with its nutrition facts here…..
Nutritive Information for Avocado :
½ cup of chopped avocado is about 75 grams
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
Energy – 120 calories
Protein – 1.5 g
Carbohydrate – 6.3 g
Fat – 11 g
Fiber – 5 g
7.5 mg of Vitamin C = 18.8% of RDA (about 40 mg)
See full nutritional details of avocado in Avocado glossary click here.