7 Amazing Benefits of Guava, Peru, Amrod
Guava is a magical fruit when it comes to building immunity due to its enormous Vitamin C content. Scientifically named as ‘Psidium guajava’, it’s a round to oval fruit with green skin and white or pink flesh with many small edible seeds. The skin is thick or thin depending on the variety.
It has its own unique smell and sweet to tart in taste. The interesting part of this fruit is that it can be enjoyed as a whole, along with its seeds. Some people enjoy this fruit when it’s a bit raw and crisp to bite into, while some enjoy this fruit when its fully ripened and soft. The choice is yours, but devour the seeds for sure. Many discard the seeds due to dental problems.
7 Health Benefits of Guava, Peru, Amrod
1. Builds Immunity: After amla, guava is a fruit, which is packed with immune building Vitamin C (275.5 mg / cup). Guavas are a great source of fighting bacteria, which cause diseases like common cold and cough. They do so by fostering white blood cells (WBC) production.
Watermelon Pineapple Guava Drink
Remember that vitamin C is a volatile nutrient – means it decreases on exposure to air. So you need to consume it immediately after chopping or juicing. On hot summer afternoon, it would be worth experimenting an immune boosting drink like Watermelon Pineapple and Guava Drink.
2. Guava Manages Diabetes: Along with grapefruit, orange, pear, jamun etc., guava is a fruit, which appears in the “Allowed” list of diabetic menu. The fiber (11 g from a cup) is the key nutrient in focus here. Try and include guava at least twice a week for best results.
Mixed Fruit Chaat, Diabetic Friendly Recipe
A word of caution for diabetics. Firstly, try to have unpeeled guava, as much of the fiber always lies just beneath the skin. Secondly, avoid guava juice as juicing is a more concentrated source of calories and carbs , which can lead to fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Healthy Guava Snack is the best to turn to at any time of the day. Some studies have also shown a positive link between guava leaf extract and diabetes control. Also read.. 26 Major Points for Diabetes Care
Healthy Guava Snack
3. Prevents and Treats Cancer : Guava is a plant-based food, which hasn’t disappointed its role in cancer studies. The antioxidant lycopene and Vitamin C both together can fight free radicals, which can otherwise is a causative factor of cancer. Guavas are also useful in the treatment of cancer. Their antioxidant power has the ability to fight against the growing cancer cells and protect body cell damage.
Guava Drink, Peru Drink
Cancer patients suffering from symptoms of nausea, low appetite or mouth sores can opt for Guava juice instead of whole guava. The only concern about guava juice is its sugar content. Sugar is the friend of cancer cells. It increases inflammation in the body. So try making a nourishing sugar-free concoction like Healthy Guava Drink.
4. Targets Weight Loss: The most fruitful way to treat obesity is to eat healthy for weight loss – low fat, high fiber and high protein foods. Guava meets this criteria satisfactorily. All you need to remember is to have at least 1 whole guava and not to discard the seeds for sure. The seeds of this fruit as the major source of fiber, which will satiate you and avoid binge eating.
Watermelon and Guava Juice
To make it more interesting, sprinkle a little salt and chilli powder on it. And on days you want to try something unique, try the easy and quick Guava Chutney. Never heard of it right? Try it and you are sure to share this healthy recipe with your friends. Avoid the ½ tsp sugar if you wish to and don’t miss out on adding a handful of mint leaves, as they are the taste enhancers of this recipe. Also read Top 10 Healthy Foods for Weight Loss.
Guava Chutney, Amrood Chutney, Spicy Peru Chutney
5. Protects Heart : The fiber in Guava which is known to show positive weight loss and blood sugar control results, also is an aid to control blood pressure and is one of the healthy heart fruits. This ensures proper blood flow to the heart. Moreover, the antioxidants play an important role in zapping free radicals and decreasing the oxidative damage to arteries of the heart.
Further, the small amounts of potassium and magnesium from guava are an added benefit for the heart, as they have a role to play in maintaining heartbeat. Peru ki Subzi is a healthy and interesting way to use guava. Peep into the list of Other Heart Healthy Fruits.
Fruit and Lettuce Salad ( Healthy Soups and Salads Recipe)
6. Treats Constipation : Guava is a fruit which fulfils 36% of days requirement of fiber of about 25 to 30 g per day. It has a laxative effect, thus helping as a treatment to constipation.
Fresh figs, papaya and pineapple are a few other fruits which also showcase laxative effect. Learn about Home Remedies to Relive Constipation.
7. Prevent Aging : Aging is natural and irreversible. However certain foods can help protect the skin and delay the sign of aging like wrinkles. These are antioxidant rich foods. The lycopene and vitamin C are the key antioxidants in guava which help to protect skin cells from free radical damage.
Vitamin C also functions in collagen synthesis in the body, which is responsible for smooth and glowing skin. In fact, if you have noticed certain face masks also contain guava extracts. They have a skin tightening effect.
Pear Basil Guava Infused Water
Start making guava a part of your diet from Today! You have everything to gain, nothing to lose!!
Nutritive Information for Guava:
1 Cup of chopped guava is about 130 grams
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
Energy - 66 calories
Protein – 1.2 g
Carbohydrate – 14.6 g
Fat – 0.4 g
Fiber – 11 g
See full nutritional details of guava in Guava glossary click here.