8 Benefits of Spring Onions, hara pyaz
Belonging to ‘Allium’ family, spring onions are very closely related to onions, garlic and shallots. They have always attracted various kitchens across the world, especially the Chinese and Continental. Also known as ‘Salad onions’, they have a tender white bulb with long green leaves. Spring onions may bring a tear to your eye, and pungency to your breath, but they will most certainly bring delight to your taste buds.
Sprouts, Spring Onion and Tomato Salad
While buying the spring onions select the variety with plump white bulb and erect, deep-green leaves. Spring onions with yellow, wilted or dry leaves and soft bulbs are best avoided. They will keep in the crisper section of the refrigerator for a few days. Read more about Buying and Storing Spring Onions.
Fattoush, Lebanese Salad
Spring onions make their appearance in salads and stir-fries unquestionably. You will also find them in a variety of salsa, sauce, dips, noodles, sizzler and soup. Their unique mellow taste is what gives dimension to dishes they are added too. Additional they are rich in a few nutrients and offer a few health benefits as well. Before you read on see our Best Spring Onion recipes in Cooking, let’s peep into its nutrition facts.
Brussels Sprouts and Spring Onion Stir-fry
Nutritive Information for Spring Onions:
1 Cup of chopped spring onion is about 54 grams
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
Energy - 14 calories
Protein - 0.9 g
Carbohydrate – 3 g
Fat – 0.1 g
Fiber – 1.3 g
See full nutritional details of spring onion in Spring onion glossary click here.
Nutrients in Spring Onions
Spring Onions are low in calories, carbs and fat. They have vitamin C in plentiful along fair amounts of fiber, B vitamins, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, vitamin A, folate and calcium. They are rich in sulfur compounds and antioxidant quercetin.
8 Health Benefits of Spring Onions
1. Spring Onions Improve Immunity : The high levels of vitamin C in spring onions is an immune boosting vitamin. It helps build white blood cells (WBC) to fight against infection. Thus they exhibit anti-bacterial properties and help us combat common diseases like cold, cough and flu. What you need to be careful about this nutrient is to cut or chop it and whip up a dish immediately and consume it. It’s highly volatile so some amount is lost if kept for too long on exposure to air. Salads like Sprouts Spring Onion and Tomato Salad, Veg Salad with Spring Onion Honey and Lemon Dressing and Lettuce and Bean Salad are the best ways to benefit from vitamin C.
Veg Salad with Spring Onion Honey Lemon Dressing
2. Maintains Blood Pressure : The sulfur compounds in spring onions are known to keep blood pressure under check. Thus those suffering from High Blood Pressure can look forward to adding this ingredient to their basket while shopping. Just beware not to go overboard with the usage of salt, when cooking using this vegetable and in general for hypertension.
Rajma, Bean Sprouts and Spring Onion Salad
3. Helps to Cope Up with Diabetes : Here the sulfur compounds and antioxidant quercetin together help to keep blood sugar levels under control. They tend to play a role in this, by increasing the production of insulin. Diabetics can add spring onions in a variety of ways to their diet. Pair it with other diabetic-friendly ingredients and go healthy forever. One High Fiber Chila made with buckwheat, oats and spring onions is a great choice to start your day’s meal with. The day you want to try something exotic, dig into the recipe of Green Tomato Salsa.
Green Tomato Salsa, Diabetic Friendly
4. Reduces the Risk of Cancer : The sulfur compounds and quercetin helps the body to get rid of the harmful free radicals which are mainly caused due to stress, pollution and internal body mechanism. These if not cut off from the body, will show damage to DNA and cells. Read more about other antioxidants like catotenoids, Indoles, Lignans, Lutein and Lycopene.
Jowar, Bajra Spring Onion Roti
5. May Prevent Stomach Complaints : The fiber in spring onions is to be credited for this. Whether cooked or raw, they help your digestive system to work smoothly. So without much concern you can think of including them daily in your diet. Try and avoid processed foods like maida and include spring onions with a variety of healthy flours to make recipes like Jowar Bajra Spring Onion Roti.
6. Embraces Heart-Healthy Benefits : Spring onions have also been identified to lower cholesterol levels in the body. The vitamin C also puts you at less risk of heart disease. Studies have proven that vitamin C helps reduce inflammation and also relaxes the blood vessels which carry blood to the heart, thus protecting the heart from onset of stroke. Spring Onion and Curd Dip and Sweet Corn and Spring Onion Soup are healthy choices for you.
Paneer and Spring Onion Wrap
7. Improves Skin Health : The macro-nutrient vitamin C (24.3 mg / cup) is the nutrient which participates in collagen synthesis in the body. This collagen is needed to maintain skin elasticity, provide the necessary smoothness to skin and prevent wrinkle formation.
8. Aid in Weight Loss : Being very low in calories and fat and encompassing a basketful of nutrients, they are looked upon as a weight loss vegetable too. Moreover the fiber (1.3 g/cup) in it beneficial too. It gives you a feeling of satiety and promote healthy weight loss. Go creative and experiment with healthy ingredients to create delicacies like Carrot Cucumber and Rajma Salad in Mint Dressing, Nourishing Barley Soup and Moong Dal ki Chaat.
Antioxidant, Protein Rich Healthy Lunch Salad