6 Super Benefits of Kokum
Kokum (Gracinia Indica) has been known as Grandma’s cure to acidity. It primarily grows in the Western Ghats, especially the Goa and Konkan region. It is a small fruit like cherry tomato which is red in colour and deepens to purple on ripening. While this fresh variety is available, its dried variety made after drying the ripened fruit is commonly sold and has culinary uses too. It has a sour taste with a faintly sweet aroma. This dainty looking ingredient too has a few health benefits to its credit. Here’s a closer look at it.
Kokum Sherbet, Kokam Sharbat Recipe
1. Kokum – A Cure to Acidity : This is a legendary benefit of kokum promoted by Ayurveda. Acidity is a modern gift to mankind in today’s fast-paced life. Hurry, Worry and Curry are known to be the major cause of acidity. A chilled glass of Kokum Sherbat made with dried kokum, little sugar and salt / black salt will help to ease acidity burps. However too much sugar can aggravate acidity, thus keep a check on the usage of sugar.
2. Kokum – Good for Digestive Health : The extracts of the kokum is in its juice form are also known to relieve other gastric problems like indigestion and flatulence due to its anti-bacterial property. Kokum kills the harmful bacteria and protects the good bacteria of the gut, thus helping to ease stomach troubles.
3. Kokum – A Powerful Antioxidant : Kokum’s powerful component ‘garcinol’ carries the antioxidant properties. This means that it possess the ability to fight the damaging effect of free radicals which if left in the body are known to relate to range of illnesses like cancer, diabetes, heart disease etc. Overall it promotes cell regeneration and maintains the health of cells and organs of the body.
4. Kokum – For Cracked Heels : This again has its roots linked to ancient Ayurveda. An application of a paste of kokum in combination with butter or oil has been used to cure cracked heels, skin rashes and blisters. For that instance kokum butter is quite famous and it also has its presence in many cosmetics like skin lotions, soaps and balms.
5. Kokum – To Beat Body Heat : Kokum juice is an immense thirst quencher which has cooling effect on the body. Drink a glass of Kokum juice to beat the scorching heat of summer.
6. Kokum – For a Healthy Heart : The hydroxycitric acid – a compound found in kokum has been known to reduce cholesterol levels and suppress appetite, thus working towards controlling obesity and maintain a heathy heart.
However the quantities which will showcase this profound effect is yet to be researched.