10 Amazing Benefits of Coconut, Nariyal
Coconut is a fruit which has been looked upon for years as a causative factor of clogged arteries, excess weight and uncontrolled diabetes. “Oh! You are eating COCONUT…. That’s high is fats” is the common comment you hear when you are found cooking with coconut. Yes, it is. And the major fat present in it is the saturated fat. However with newer research this fruit has listed its miraculous health benefits. Right from its fresh fruit to the coconut meat, coconut milk, coconut water and coconut oil – all have their own significance.
Let’s explore the 10 nourishing benefits of Coconut and what it offers us…
1. Weight Loss : The fresh coconut has saturated fats but most of it is MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) which promote weight loss. Such medium chain triglycerides get directly used up in the form of energy rather than being stored in the form of fats, thus avoiding weight gain. They also help boost metabolism and thus curb hunger. Try Coconut Chia Seed Pudding.
Coconut Chia Pudding Super Bowl
2. Reduces Cholesterol Levels : The high fibre content 13.6 gm (45.3% of RDA) along with high lauric acid content of coconut improves cholesterol levels in the body. It reduces the bad cholesterol LDL (Low Density Lipoprotein) thus maintaining artery health. Try Coconut Coriander Chutney with your favourite steamed snacks.
coriander coconut chutney recipe | dosa green chutney | coconut coriander green chutney for idlis, dosas, uttapam |
3. Bone Health : Coconut is a valuable source of phosphorus and magnesium along with calcium – all 3 key ingredients necessary for bone and teeth health. So fragile bones and osteoporosis can now be effortlessly avoided by making coconut a part of your daily diet. Coconut Pachadi is a classic example of calcium rich recipe.
Coconut Pachadi / Coconut Raita
4. Manages Diabetes : Improving the action of insulin secretion and lowering the raised blood sugar levels is yet another benefit of coconut. Diabetics can now positively control sugar levels and look forward to reducing other diseases associated with it. You can opt for Mixed Sprouts Salad with Coconut.
sprouts coconut salad recipe | sprouts salad with coconut | healthy mixed sprouts salad with coconut |
5. Maintains Oral Hygiene : The oils released while chewing coconut, kills the bacteria in the mouth and gives relief from bad breath and improves dental hygiene.
6. Anti-ageing Cure : If you want to look younger than your age, you need to turn your head to coconut. The cytokinins, trans-zeatin and kinetin in it helps nourish your skin, fight free radicals and enhances your beauty. Regular massage with a mixture of coconut oil and castor oil is also sure to give you a flawless smooth skin in days.
7. Boosts Immunity : It’s anti-bacterial and anti-microbial property kills the virus and unwanted bacteria and spells out a better YOU with a clear gut. Try Coconut Blueberry Smoothie in between meals.
Coconut Blueberry Smoothie, Low- Carb Smoothie
8. Treats Infection : To its credit it has the capability of treating throat infections by fighting bacteria due to the lauric acid present in it. Try Grapefruit Coconut and Peanut Salad.
Grapefruit, Coconut and Peanut Salad
9. Enhances athletic performance : Its ability to provide quick and instant energy makes it a healthy snack option for those training for athletic performance. Just break a coconut, relish its refreshing water, chop the coconut into pieces and enjoy chewing on it throughout the day. Or you can try Almond Berry and Coconut Cake for Fitness and Weight Loss.
Almond Berry and Coconut Cake, For Fitness and Weight Loss
10. Treats Epilepsy : Being low in carbs it’s identified as an inclusion of ketogenic diet, which has been known to treat epilepsy in some cases.
Within the shells
It’s not a gimmick
Don’t Kick it…. Be wise enough to Pick it!!
And once you pick it, discover the diverse culinary staples you can create in your kitchen with this wonderful fruit - COCONUT.
Enjoy our collection of 788 coocnut recipes.