Also Known as
Nariyal ka pani, Narial ka pani
If you've ever opened a fresh coconut, you will have seen the thin, opaque almost clear coconut juice or water which has a slight almond flavor. Tap into a young, green coconut and therein lies the slightly sweet, translucent liquid that islanders have long enjoyed as refreshment in the sun's heat. Coconut vendors can be found most everywhere. Coconut water is the liquid endosperm inside young coconuts. Coconuts are the fruit of the coconut palm, botanically known as Cocos nucifera, with nucifera meaning "nut-bearing." In Sanskrit, the coconut palm is known as kalpa vriksha, meaning "tree which gives all that is necessary for living," As the coconut matures, the water content decreases as the meat absorbs the Coconut Water. Coconut water has long been a popular drink. It is naturally fat-free and low in calories.Coconuts for drinking are packaged and sold in many places its sweet taste satisfies thirst and sweet cravings and contains no fat.
How to Select
Choose coconuts that feel heavy for their size, having no cracks and avoid those whose circular indented eyes are damp, moist or moldy. Shake the coconut. It should slosh with liquid and sound full. Coconut water can also be found in regular cans or tetra paks (and often has coconut pulp or coconut jelly added) and is also marketed as.
· Soft drinks and aerated waters in the market will soon have to face competition from a new brand -- tender coconut water packed in aluminum cans
· Coconut water is also used in cocktail recipes for every occasion.
· The white jelly-like flesh of an unripe coconut. Water coconut can be eaten with a spoon.
· Nata de coco is a type of jelly-like dessert produced using coconut.
· Coconut soup that is most often associated with the central and southern regions of Thailand. Made from the milk of coconuts, in addition, a variety of vegetables such as sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, green beans, and mushrooms, as well as garlic, soybeans, and various seasonings may be added. Depending on the contents, Coconut Soup can be very filling and an enjoyable mixture of different ingredients.
How to Store
Although it's always advisable to drink coconut water fresh. Coconut water can last longer until removed from coconut but once water is out should not be stored, as may ferment and turn sour. Food and Agriculture Organization [FAO] of the UN have shown a way to increase the shelf life of coconut water for upto three weeks has been developed by the Basically the idea is to filter, quickly chill and seal it in sterilised bottles. This prevents fermentation of coconut water that begins soon as it is exposed to air. Although it's better to drink fresh for optimum benefits.
10 Health Benefits of Coconut Water
1. Potassium Rich : Coconut water is high in Potassium and forms a great electrolyte. One cup of coconut water has 480 mg of Potassium.
2. Low in Calories : One cup of coconut water (200 ml) is only 48 calories. There is zero fat in the water.
3. Lowers Blood Pressure : Potassium is critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine.
4. Lowers Cholesterol : Due to the presence of potassium, calcium and magnesium in Coconut water, it is believed to lower cholesterol and maintain a healthy heart.
5. Low Carbs : If your on a low carb diet, this is a perfect healthy drink as one cup of coconut water contains only 8 grams to Carbs. Most importantly, these are healthy carbs and good for everyone.
6. Detoxification : Coconut water provides the hydration and electrolytes to detoxify our body. By eating processed food toxins build in our body and with lower water levels the detox organs of our body, liver and kidney don’t function properly. So coconut water will help cleanse the toxins and rehydrate the body.
7. Rich in Magnesium : Magnesium helps maintain nerve function and normal heartbeat. Also it helps in the metabolism of Calcium and potassium.
8. Good for Endurance Athletes : Those who train for an hour plus find the recovery of the hard training faster by having coconut water which gives you the necessary electrolytes. Coconut water carries nutrients and oxygen to cells and naturally replenish your body's fluids after exercising. Thats why you see lots of runners and bikers lined up at coconut water stands.
9. Breastfeeding Moms : Since Coconut water is packed with electrolytes it helps nursing moms stay hydrated which helps produce more milk.
10. Good for Diabetics : Since it has a very low glycemic index of 3, its a healthy drink for Diabetics as it does not lead to a spike in blood sugar levels.
Glycemic Index of Coconut Water
Coconut Water has a Glycemic Index of 3 which is very low. Glycemic Index are for foods you eat, ranks carbohydrate-containing foods by how quickly they digest and raise your blood sugar or glucose levels. Foods rank from 0 to 50 are low GI, 51 to 69 are medium and 70 to 100 are high. Foods that are high in GI are not suitable for weight loss and diabetics. Foods like Coconut Water have a low GI and hence don't spike your glucose level as they are absorbed slowly. Great for weight loss and Diabetics.