Tomato Rice( South Indian Recipes )
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 239 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 382289 times
This spicy and tangy rice preparation is ideal for packing in a lunch box, and sure to be enjoyed by young and old alike. Enjoy it hot and fresh with papads or pack it with a katori of coconut pachadi; either way it will taste just as appealing, as it combines an assortment of ingredients that complement tomatoes best! A masala of common spices, and a traditional tempering that includes peanuts too, ensure that the Tomato Rice is perfect for all to relish.
- Heat the oil in a small pan, add the urad dal, chana dal, fenugreek seeds and coriander seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and cook on a slow flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously. Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- When cool, blend in a mixer to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Combine the tomato pulp, turmeric powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared masala powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for a minute. Keep the tomato paste aside.
- Heat the oil and ghee in a broad non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the peanuts and curry leaves and sauté on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till the peanuts turn light brown in colour.
- Add the green chillies and onions, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for another 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the tomato paste and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the rice and salt, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for another 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.