Last Updated : Aug 03,2018
Viewed 14904 times
Tender coconut water is a wholesome, nutritious drink. It is one of the most preferred drinks of the city folks. The whole coconut is green coloured. To extract the water and meat, it is to be sliced from the top and strained. The water of tender coconut, technically the liquid endosperm, is the most nutritious wholesome beverage that the nature has provided for the people of the tropics to fight the sultry heat. This type is 90 to 95 percent water. The liquid from this coconut is at its purest and most healing. It is considered the best for its cooling properties, for it is a proven pitta-pacifier. The meat is stuck on the sides of the coconut inside. It is easily removed with a knife and used as desired.
Chopped tender coconut meat
Place the tender coconut meat on a chopping board, with the help of a sharp knife chop into pieces of desired thickness as per the recipe requirement.
The white flesh of the coconut fruit is the coconut meat. Coconut meat that has been dried or desiccated is very concentrated and has a low moisture content, which is why it has the highest total fat and saturated fat content. The meat in a young coconut is softer and more like gelatin than a mature coconut, so much so, that it is sometimes known as coconut jelly.
Tender coconut meat cubes
After drinking the water from the coconut, scrape the tender meat using a spoon to get a big piece of the coconut meat. Place it on a chopping board and cut it into desired sized cubes and use as required.
How to Select
Choose coconuts that feel heavy for their size, having no cracks and avoid those whose circular indented eyes are damp, moist or moldy. Shake the coconut. It should slosh with liquid and sound full. Coconut water can also be found in regular cans or tetra paks (and often has coconut pulp or coconut jelly added) and is also marketed as.
· You can drink the liquid that comes out of a coconut or add to other fruit juices, such as mango nectar, or pineapple or orange juice
· The coconut water can taste great in combination with fruit juices like pineapple and topped with vanilla ice cream.
· The tender coconut meat can be used for ice creams.
· Also, coconut sauce can be made, which is a great addition to baked dishes or steamed veggies.
· Use the pulp as an addition to rice or grains (coconut-raisin couscous--yum!), grated into veggies, such as carrots or green beans, chopped into hot or cold cereal, or shredded into muffins and quick breads
· More mature coconuts have sweeter juice and pulp, so adjust your seasoning accordingly.
How to Store
You can get them home at room temperature and can stay best for 2 to 3 days. Once opened, drink it full, don't store for long hours as it's best to drink coconut water fresh for optimum benefits. Coconut water might turn sour, if kept for long whereas coconut meat can be kept for 2 days.
Health Benefits of Coconut Meat, Tender Coconut
1. High in Fiber : Coconut meat is high in Fibre and slows the digestion process and makes you feel fuller for a longer time.
2. Digestion : The fibre in coconut adds bulk to the stool which moves the food smoother and quicker through the digestive track. This is because fibre absorbs water and add bulk.
3. Medium Chain Fatty Acids : Coconut oil and Coconut meat are medium chain fatty acids which mean they get digested much faster in the body and hence don’t contribute to cholesterol. But if you have a high cholesterol, its safer to stay clear of coconut meat. Note that the fat of Coconut meat is a healthy fat and keeps you fuller for a longer time and provides you energy.
4. Potassium Rich : Coconut meat is high in Potassium which Controls blood pressure and sustain cardiac health. Potassium maintains electrolyte or the acid-base balance in the body.
5. Anti-fungal and Antiviral Effect : Coconut meat has 3 medium chain fatty acids of which Lauric Acid has good anti microbial qualities and builds your immune system and gut.
6. Control Blood Sugar levels : As coconut meat is rich in insoluble fibre, it slows down the breakdown of carbs and prevents a surge in blood sugar levels.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.