Benefits of French Beans, Fansi
French Beans, also known as string beans or Fansi in India, are everyone’s favourite due to their crunchy texture which is quite retained even after being cooked. This is one bean which is definitely found in every pantry and enjoyed by people of all ages. It is available year-round but in peak season in summer. Known as a fat-free, low calorie and low carb vegetable, it has an impressive list of antioxidants which have proven health benefits too. Here we discuss the nutrition information and its benefits in detail.
15 Health Benefits of French Beans, Fansi
The major health benefits of French beans are as shared in the following list…..
1. Give a feeling of satiety
2. Aid in weight loss
3. French Beans monitor blood sugar levels
4. Maintain normal blood pressure
5. Preserve optimal health of digestive system
6. Keeps arteries clear of clogs
7. Offer flawless skin
8. Build RBC count
9. Prevent Folate deficiency anaemia
10. Inhibit cancer cell growth
11. Scavenge harmful free radicals
12. French Beans Reduces Inflammation
13. French Beans foster heart health
14. Improve fertility
15. Prevents Birth Defects
Let’s read in detail about the nutrients which deliver these health benefits….
1. Absolutely less in calories and carbs : 1 cup of French beans, fansi provides only about 34 calories and 6 g of carbs. For all the calorie and weight conscious people, this bean is a boon. Make a South Indian style subzi, create a magical bowl of Winter Vegetable Soup or stir-fry it to retain its maximum crunch and health values.
Winter Vegetable Soup ( Soups and Salads Recipe )
2. More or less nil in fat : French beans provide only 0.1 g of fat from about a cup, which is considered to be zilch. To cook them in a wholesome way, you can use a teaspoon of omega-3 and omega-6 rich olive oil.
This would work towards building a healthy heart, keeping arteries free of clots and maintaining cholesterol levels. Vegetable and Basil Soup is a flavourful way of satisfying your palate while pooling in all the important nutrients.
Vegetable and Basil Soup, Healthy Diabetic Recipe
3. Liberal Amounts of Vitamin C : Vitamin C is the nutrient which acts as the first line of defense against any kind of diseases. Its antioxidant property reduces inflammation, wards off the harmful free radicals and helps in the absorption of iron and calcium too. It also serves as a great detox. Collagen formation is one another function of vitamin C, which gives the skin its elasticity and wrinkle-free appearance. A cup of French beans contains a whooping amount of 31 mg of vitamin C - which fulfils almost 78% of your daily need of this nutrient. There isn’t any more reason needed to include these beans to your diet once a week at least. Try French Beans Poriyal.
4. Plentiful on Folic Acid : Your body needs folic acid or vitamin B9 for DNA synthesis and for cells to divide. A deficiency of folic acid can also lead to anemia, as like iron they are equally necessary to make red blood cells. Without enough folic acid, you can get easily tired. Pregnant women can also benefit from its folic acid count, as this nutrient is primarily required in the first trimester pregnancy to avoid birth defects in babies. So next time you see French beans in the market, relate its green colour to enhance the red colour of your blood. Try combining it with other veggies to make it more tempting and flavourful. Gajar Fansi is one such simple recipe using French beans which fulfils 22% of your folic acid requirement of the day. Know more about Vitamin B9.
5. Generously High in Fiber : 10% of fiber requirement is fulfilled by a cup of French Beans, which is good enough to keep you full for long time. Along with cluster beans, broccoli and green peas, French beans, fansi too can be added to the list of high fiber foods. It’s effective to achieve weight loss, overcome constipation, control blood sugar levels, treat high cholesterol as well as prevent cancer. A good amount of fiber consumption also helps to overcome PCOS and improve the fertility in women. Enjoy its magical crunch in the form of subzis like French Beans Foogath.
French Beans Foogath
6. Low in Sodium : Hypertensives too can enjoy this vegetable, as they have very little sodium in them. Nourshing Oats and Moong Dal Khichdi is a heart-healthy treat which has restricted amounts of salt and yet very tasty.
Nourishing Khichdi, Oats Moong Dal and Vegetable Khichdi, Low Salt Recipe
Nutritive Information for French Beans, Fansi:
1 cup of raw French beans is about 130 grams
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
Energy - 34 calories
Protein – 2.2 g
Carbohydrate – 5.9 g
Fat – 0.1 g
Fiber – 2.3 g
See full nutritional details of French beans in French beans Fansi glossary click here.
So start setting the health scene with the fresh green French Bean today itself!!