Vegetable and Basil Soup, Healthy Diabetic Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 90 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 48676 times
This delightful soup brims with the goodness of veggies, and radiates the pleasant aroma and flavour of basil. While the abundant use of veggies gives the diabetic diner a good dose of fibre, basil lends an aesthetic touch along with its medicinal value.
Instead of being used in chopped or dried form, basil is added as a paste in this soup, which makes its presence really noticeable.
Apart from having loads of chopped veggies, this soup also uses vegetable stock to get a nice taste and mouth-feel. However, cornflour is totally avoided, so this soup can even be a part of one’s daily meals.
With minimal calories and carbs, and high fibre content, this Vegetable and Basil Soup will help diabetics to keep their blood sugar levels under check.
You can also try other diabetic friendly soups like Oats and Vegetable Broth or Broccoli and Red Capsicum Soup .
It is highly recommended that this recipe be relished by diabetics only occasionally and in small quantities. This is just a mere ‘treat’ and does not qualify for a regular diabetic menu.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the garlic and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 10 seconds.
- Add the onions, coloured capsicum, french beans, carrot, cabbage and celery and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine the basil leaves along with ¼ cup of water and blend in a mixer till smooth.
- Add the basil mixture and black pepper powder to the soup, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately garnished with basil leaves.
Vegetable and Basil Soup Video by Tarla Dalal
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.