Nourishing Khichdi, Oats Moong Dal and Vegetable Khichdi, Low Salt Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 68 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 42455 times
To many, the phrase comfort food is synonymous with Khichdi, a nourishing and homely food that never fails to satiate.
In this recipe, we have combined high fibre oats with yellow moong dal to make a Nourishing Khichdi with a difference. Veggies add a welcome crunch to this recipe, while also bringing in their share of fibre and antioxidants.
Perfectly spiced with just a mild touch of salt, this dish makes a healthy treat when served with a bowl of low-fat curds.
You can also try other recipes like the Nutritious Pumpkin Soup and Poha Handwa .
- Clean, wash and soak the moong dal for 30 minutes. Drain well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker add the cumin seeds and asafoetida and sauté for few seconds.
- Add the onions and green chillies and sauté on medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic paste, chilli powder, turmeric powder and 1 tbsp of water and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the oats, moong dal, carrots and french beans, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add 2¾ cups of hot water and salt, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.