Benefits of Dried Fenugreek Leaves, Kasuri Methi
Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves) is a popular dried herb which features in Indian cooking the most. You must have read about how the fresh fenugreek leaves benefits us. Kasuri Methi is essentially the dried version of these fresh leaves. One difference between the 2 is that the fresh leaves are used in more quantity to create delicacies like Methi Palak Chawli Dhokla and Methi Oats Roti and the dried leaves make their presence in small quantities mainly to add flavour to delicacies like Paneer Lababdar, Tandoori Gobhi, Masala Chawli etc.
5 Benefits of Kasuri Methi
1. Kasuri Methi doesn’t pile on too many calories : It gives only 4 calories from a tbsp.. So it’s clearly indicative that it is safe to be added to low calorie meals.
2. Kasuri Methi is low on carb count : You get less than a g of carb from 1 tbsp.
3. Kasuri Methi adds on some fiber : Negligible amount of fiber it adds, though beneficial. Fiber has been known to have many health benefits like protecting heart, maintaining diabetes, preventing constipation and assisting weight loss
4. Kasuri Methi does lend a little protein : With all the major nutrients, dried fenugreek leaves definitely supplements our diet with negligible amount of protein too. Protein is necessary to maintain and repair each and every cell and tissue of our body.
5. Kasuri Methi is a source of micro nutrients : Fresh fenugreek leaves have vitamin C, but so much intense drying leads to its loss. This is because vitamin C is a highly volatile nutrient and is lost on contact with air and sun drying. Calcium and iron are not lost on drying though. With small amounts of calcium, kasuri methi also provides some iron. Calcium is needed to build strong bones and on the other hand iron is a must to build our hemoglobin levels and avoid fatigue at any time of the day.
How to Make Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves) at HOME
1. Buy the fresh methi leaves. Ensure that the leaves are green and not yellow and wilted.
2. Remove the leaves from the stem. Discard the stem and rotten leaves if any.
3. Lightly wash the leaves to remove any dirt.
4. Pat them using a kitchen towel.
5. Spread the leaves in a big plate or muslin cloth and put them to dry in sunlight for 2 to 3 days.
6. Sun-dry them till all the moisture has been evaporated and they have turned crisp.
7. Pack them in an air-tight container and use as required
8. These stay fresh for 1 month at room temperature when stored in a cool, dry place and 6 months if refrigerated.
Nutrition Count of Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves)
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance
1 tbsp of Kasuri Methi is 1 g
Energy – 4 calories
Protein – 0.2 g
Carbs – 0.6 g
Fiber – 0.2
Calcium – 0.8% of RDA
Iron – 3% of RDA
See full nutritional details of dried kasuri methi leaves in Dried fenugreek leaves glossary click here.
Key Takeaway for Kasuri Methi
Kasuri Methi is a source of fiber, protein, calcium and iron, though it contributes minimally to making up for RDA. But it is a healthy addition for weight watchers, diabetes, heart disease, kids, adults, senior citizen and many more. Use it in small quantities as mentioned in the recipe to not only flavour your meals but also lend a touch of nourishment.