dried fenugreek leaves
Last Updated : Jun 21,2020
Viewed 167360 times
Also Known as
Description of Kasuri Methi, What is Dried Fenugreek Leaves? Kasuri Methi refers to dried leaves of the fenugreek plant. It is an herb with a bitter but addictive taste. Used as a spice in Indian curries, sabzi, parathas its strong aroma and distinctive flavour fascinate the taste buds!
How to Select Kasuri Methi, Dried Fenugreek Leaves
• You can prepare kasuri methi at home. To do this, sort the fenugreek leaves to remove rotten ones, then wash and pat dry the good leaves. Allow to dry in the sun for a few weeks, till all the moisture is gone.
• It is also readily available in the market. Choose a reliable brand, so ensure purity.
• Check the seal of the package, and the use-by date.
• Buy in small quantities, as the aroma will reduce if stored for too long.
Culinary Uses of Kasuri Methi, Dried Fenugreek Leaves • Kasuri Methi is generally used as a condiment for flavouring various curries and subzis.
• It combines well with starchy or root vegetables like carrots, yams and potatoes.
• Add to whole wheat dough to make flavourful rotis and parathas.
• Add a teaspoon of dried fenugreek leaves to curries, as a spice, along with tomatoes.
• It is used popularly in handi recipes.
• It can also be roasted and crushed before adding to subzis, to enhance the flavour and aroma.
How to Store Kasuri Methi, Dried Fenugreek Leaves
• If kept refrigerated in an airtight jar, it can stay up to 6 months.
• Keep away from moisture.
Nutrition Count of Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves) RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance
1 tbsp of Kasuri Methi is 1 g
Energy – 4 calories
Protein – 0.2 g
Carbs – 0.6 g
Fiber – 0.2 g
Calcium – 0.8% of RDA
Iron – 3% of RDA
5 Benefits of Kasuri Methi
1. Kasuri Methi doesn’t pile on too many calories : It gives only 4 calories from a tbsp.. So it’s clearly indicative that it is safe to be added to low calorie meals.
2. Kasuri Methi is low on carb count : You get less than a g of carb from 1 tbsp.
Click here to know more about the 5 Benefits of Kasuri Methi.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.