12 Benefits of Cucumber, Kakdi
Cucumber is a widely cultivated plant and equally liked by most too. From kids to adults to senior citizen, everyone loves cucumber. Oh Yes, it’s a fruit! It is roughly cylindrical, elongated, with slightly tapered ends. Cucumbers grown to be eaten fresh are called slicers and those intended for pickling are called picklers. Add a firm cucumber with rounded edges and bright medium to dark green in colour to your shopping basket and you have crossed the first ladder of adding nourishment to your diet.
Other Common Names of Cucumber
Kakdi, Kheera and Khira
Why is Cucumber Popular …
1. It’s made up of 95% water.
2. It’s absolutely refreshing and cooling.
3. It’s an inexpensive food source.
4. It’s available in plenty throughout the year.
5. It’s mild and pleasing in taste.
6. It’s low in calories.
7. It’s almost nil in fats.
8. It doesn’t call for cooking.
9. It need not be deseeded.
10. It pairs well with most other culinary ingredients.
12 Reasons to Eat Cucumber
1. Promotes Weight Loss – With just 16 calories and zero fat from a cup of cucumber, it certainly qualifies for a weight watcher’s diet. Pair it with another protein rich ingredient to make a healthy potion like Indian Chickpea Salad for Weight Loss.
Indian Chickpea Salad for Weight Loss
2. Flushes Out Toxins – With that high water content, cucumber act a s broom for our system to sweep out harmful toxins from our body. Try Cool Cucumber Cooler as a detox drink.
3. Build Immunity – Being a good source of vitamin C (8.75 mg / cup) it strengthens your immune system to keep virus and bacteria away. Try Carrot Spinach Cucumber Orange Juice.
Carrot, Spinach, Orange and Cucumber Drink, Ibs Recipe
4. Friend of a Diabetic – 15 is the glycemic index of cucumber which makes it truly diabetic—friendly. Include it in the form of Cucumber and Pudina Raita.
Cucumber and Pudina Raita
5. Reduces Cholesterol – The sterols from cucumber aid in managing blood cholesterol levels well. Try the Cucumber Avocado Salad. Avocado is also considered good fats - MUFA, which benefits the heart.
6. Succeeds in Managing Blood Pressure – Low sodium and fair amounts of potassium will help to control blood pressure. Try Radish Cucumber and Curd Dip. But remember do not serve chips with it,
Radish, Cucumber and Curd Dip
7. Brings Shine to Hair and Nails – Silica, vitamin C and water are 3 key nutrients which work hand-in-hand to get that glow on your skin and bouncy hair. Beetroot Cucumber and Tomato Raita is the best and simple way to include it in the diet.
Beetroot, Cucumber and Tomato Raita
8. Slashes Down the Chances of Cancer – The lignans are the antioxidants cucumber holds, which is known to reduce the risk of various types of cancer. Try Carrot Cucumber and Rajma Salad in Mint Dressing to make up for all the antioxidants to build immunity and prevent the onset of cancer.
Carrot Cucumber and Rajma Salad in Mint Dressing
9. Prevents Constipation – The gut loves 2 nutrients – water and fiber. Cucumber has it both, to help cleanse your digestive tract. You don't need to make anything exotic. A simple Tomato Cucumber and Onion Salad is quite nutri dense.
Tomato, Cucumber and Onion Salad
10. Support Heart Health – The balance of high potassium and low sodium helps in muscle contraction and heart function. Herbed Cucumber Slices are a healthy option at snack time.
Herbed Cucumber Slices
11. Act as a Breath Freshener – Holding a slice of cucumber in your mouth for about a minute can kill the bacteria which cause bad breath.
12. Reduces Puffiness Under Eyes - Applying cucumber juice around eyes and lying down with eyes closed for 20 minutes daily helps reduces puffiness around the eyes.
5 Healthy Ways to Enjoy Cucumber
1. Slice it and pair them with Protein Rich Hummus. Try Spinach Hummus with Cucumber Sticks.
Spinach Hummus with Cucumber Sticks ( Tiffin Treats)
2. Complement it with Antioxidant Rich Mint to make a juice. Try Apple Cucumber Juice.
Pineapple, Apple and Cucumber Juice
3. Puree it to make a low calorie cold soup – Gazpacho
Gazpacho ( Low Calorie Healthy Cooking )
4. Slice it and toss it with other veggies, sprouts and paneer to make a fiber salad bowl like Pineapple Cucumber Salad.
Pineapple Cucumber Salad ( Fibre Rich Salad)
5. Grate it and add it to whip up low fat pancakes like Cucumber Pancakes. Replace rice flour with any other flour of your choice if need be.
Story At a Glance
Cucumber is extremely nourishing which promotes overall well-being. It holds a horde of health benefits and can be included in a variety of ways to our daily meals. Available with every other vegetable seller, it shouldn’t be missed out on adding to your grocery basket and brining it out on the dining table.
Nutrition Facts of Cucumber
1 Cup of chopped cucumber is about 125 grams
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
Energy - 16 calories
Protein – 0.5 g
Carbohydrate – 3.1 g
Fat – 0.1 g
Fiber – 3.2 g
See full nutritional details of Cucumber in Nutrition Facts of Cucumber glossary