Dal Rasam, South Indian Toovar Dal Rasam
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 1682 times
Dal Rasam or Paruppu Rasam is everyday fare in Tamil Nadu! It made with cooked toovar dal and tomatoes, flavoured with a special rasam powder.
The tamarind water gives a pleasant tang to the rasam, while the semi-spicy rasam powder leaves a warmth on your taste buds.
While making the rasam powder, it is very important to only dry roast the ingredients and not fry them in oil or ghee, which causes the flavour to change.
Also, you can make some extra powder and keep it for a few days to flavour more rasam or even dry vegetable curries!
Enjoy this rasam hot and fresh, like a soup, or mixed with hot rice and ghee, which is the traditional way of having it.
You can also try other rasams like Jeera-Pepper Rasam or Garlic Rasam .
- Heat a small non-stick pan and dry roast all the ingredients on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture into a plate and cool completely.
- Once cooled blend in a mixer till smooth. Keep aside.
- Combine the toovar dal, turmeric powder and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Whisk the dal well. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and urad dal and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the kashmiri dry red chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and prepared rasam powder and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked whisked dal, tamarind water, salt and 2 cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 6 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, add the coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.