7 Health Benefits of Black Pepper
Black pepper belongs to the Piperaceae family and is also called as Piper nigrum is a vine plant which usually grows in tropical climate. The black pepper is the fruit of the plant which are usually found in clusters. Black pepper is usually harvested before it is fully ripe and then it is dried which makes the round spice shrivel a little.
Black pepper also known as Kali Mirch has a very strong and pungent flavor. Iit is usually available in whole form, though the whole form is mainly used in curries, gravies and biryani. When we think of salad a pepper shaker is what comes to our mind. Yes it identified ground and sprinkled on salads. Just the touch of black pepper powder with salt is enough to perk up the taste of any dressing and, in turn, any salad.
The essential compound that black pepper is rich in is ‘Piperine’. Apart from this it also contains some essential oils. All this contributes to the health benefits that black pepper has to offer.
Watermelon, Orange and Feta Salad
Nutritional Value of Black Pepper, Kali mirch
One teaspoon of black pepper (2 g), contains:
0.2 g protein
1.5 g carbohydrate
0.1 g of fat
0.6 g fiber
0.5 mg sodium
7 Health Benefits of Black Pepper, Kali mirch
- Enhances Digestion: Black pepper has been identified to stimulate the digestive juices and enzymes in the gut thus lending a helping hand in maintaining digestive health. Though used in small quantities, it does have a positive effect on the body. Try it in the form of Whole Masoor Salad.
Whole Masoor Salad
- Cold and Cough Reliever: The antibacterial nature of black pepper helps to relieve cold and cough, especially when black pepper is ground and mixed with honey and consumed. An effective remedy using black pepper would be add some freshly ground black pepper to boiling hot water and use it as a hot steam inhalation twice a day.
Onion Thyme Soup
- Promotes Weight Loss: Kalimich is known to boost metabolism and promote fat cell breakdown. Yes, the piperine may help you overcome obesity. Moreover it doesn’t lend too many calories or fat as well. So a small teaspoon of black pepper should, in reality, be a welcome addition to any meal made for a weight loss diet. Use it with lemon juice to make a healthy salad like Healthy Cous Cous Salad. The black pepper will aid in weight loss, while vitamin C being an antioxidant will help to build your immunity, reduce inflammation in the body and thus make you a healthier person. Black pepper is also low in sodium, so it will avoid water retention in the body.
Cous Cous Salad, Healthy Cous Cous Salad
- Improves Skin Health: Black pepper is a spice which can help exfoliate the skin, remove dead skin cells and fight wrinkles. You can of course use it in your meals, but it is often used as a face pack with honey or curd too.
- May Help Stabilize Blood Sugar Levels: Few studies have suggested that kali mirch may help in maintaining normal blood sugar levels as it improves insulin sensitivity. So diabetics and weight watchers with high blood sugar levels both can benefit from black pepper. However this is not a completely proven study and more research in this field is yet to be initiated.
- May Exhibit Cancer Fighting Properties: Again the compound piperine in black pepper is known for its cancer fighting property. You can go healthy by exploring it in the form of Lentil Tomato and Spinach Soup. However its effect on humans is yet to be studied.
- May Maintain Oral Health: A mixture of salt and black pepper powder when rubbed on teeth can help relieve toothache. But it is best to consult your doctor before its use.
How to Use Black Pepper, Kali Mirch in Your Cooking?
- Masala Powder: Kali mirch is an integral part of many commonly used masala powder. It usually pairs well with cumin seeds, cloves, bayleaf, cinnamon, turmeric and so on… Listed here a few masala powder that you can explore making in your own kitchen…
Chai ka Masala, Chai Powder, Tea Masala, Indian Masala Tea Powder
- Indian Subzis and Gravies: Used as a part of tempering or a part of paste in many Indian subzis, black pepper truly forms a part of our ‘masala dabba’. It is used across different regions of India…
Indian Mix Vegetable Curry, Pressure Cooker Recipe
- Healthy Salad Bowls: This is for those who are aiming weight loss. We have a lot in for you to dig into. Just make freshly ground black pepper powder and use it...
Carrot Cucumber and Rajma Salad in Mint Dressing
- Piping Hot Soups: Ah! Soups are a perfect start to any meal. A piping hot bowl of soup can enhance any diner’s appetite. Try and add black pepper in your soups and you will fall in love with its strong yet pleasant aroma. Here are a few soups which can be made with black pepper…
Quick Vegetable Broth ( Healthy Soups and Salads Recipe)
Use whole black pepper, kalimirch or just a pinch of black pepper to go healthy!