Low Calorie Medu Vada
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 36 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 42636 times
For most people, urad dal based Medu Vada is a must-have with breakfast. However, the extra calories that come out of deep-frying the batter could be troublesome.
In that case, you can try this Low-Calorie Medu Vada cooked in an appe mould with minimal oil. Keep some hot, steaming Sambhar ready, and dunk the vadas in them as soon as they are ready. This is very important, because vadas cooked with less oil tend to harden over time.
Serving them fresh with sambhar however is doubly delightful and for chutney try Healthy Coconut Chutney it is equally tasty.
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal in enough water for atleast 3 hours. Drain well.
- Combine the urad dal, green chillies, peppercorns, curry leaves, ginger, salt and ½ cup of water in a mixer and blend till smooth.
- Heat the appe mould on a medium flame and grease it using ¼ tsp of oil.
- Pour a spoonful of the batter into each mould.
- Cook till the lower surface becomes golden brown and then turn each vada upside down using a fork so as to cook them from the other side.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 to make more vadas in 3 more batches.
- Serve immediately immersed in sambhar.
Low Calorie Medu Vada Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.