Rice Appe ( How To Make Rice Appe )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 168 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 929934 times
rice appe recipe | paniyaram | South Indian rice appe | with amazing 32 images.
Rice Appe is a simply awesome snack, which can be had as a tea-time treat or served along with idli, pongal, dosa or khichdi to add more josh to your breakfast.
Made by cooking a fermented batter of rice and urad dal in an appe mould, the appe are crisp outside but soft and spongy inside.
Preparing rice appe may need patience as the batter would need fermentation which takes atleast 8 hours but the wait and patience would be worth it as the outcome is amazing. We have prepared the batter by combining rice and urad dal. Further, soaked, ground and fermented it. Once the batter is fermented, made tempering which enhances the taste of rice appe once combined with the batter. Heat oil in a non-stick pan, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafeotida, green chilies, onions and crushed peanuts and cook. Once cooked, we have combined the tempering to the batter. Further, greased a appe mould and cook the rice appe until they turn golden brown.
A tempering of mustard and cumin seeds together with onions and crushed peanuts give the Rice Appe an amazing taste and mouth-feel, which make it enticing to young and old alike.
Easy to make, but a bit more exotic than idlis and dosas, the Rice Appe is popular in South India as an evening snack, served with sambhar and a coconut chutney, and accompanied by a cup of hot coffee or tea.
You can enjoy the rice appe just plain or with your choice of sambhar and chutney. Make sure you serve it immediately to enjoy the nice crispness. Once it cools, the crisp outer tends to harden and get a bit chewy.
Enjoy rice appe recipe | paniyaram | South Indian rice appe | with detailed step by step recipe photos and video below.
- To make rice appe, combine the raw rice and urad dal and enough water in a deep bowl and keep aside to soak for 2 hours. Drain well and keep aside.
- Blend in a mixer using approx. ½ cup of water till smooth. Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl. Cover with a lid and keep aside to ferment in a warm place for 8 hours.
- After the batter is fermented, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the onions and peanuts and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add this tempering to the batter and mix well.
- Add the salt and mix well.
- Heat the appe mould on a medium flame and grease it using ¼ tsp of oil.
- Pour 1 tbsp of the batter into each mould.
- Cook using 1 tsp of oil till the lower surface becomes golden brown and then turn each appe upside down using a fork so as to cook them from the other side as well.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make more rice appes.
- Serve the rice appe immediately with sambhar and green chutney or tomato chutney.
Rice Appe Video by Tarla Dalal
Rice Appe ( How To Make Rice Appe ) recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values per appe
|Vitamin A||59.1 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.5 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||3.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.