Brown Rice Khichdi, Healthy 3 Ingredients
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 8360 times
Khichdi is the first and last word in Indian comfort foods. Whether it’s a busy day or a dull one, a serving of this one-dish meal is sure to put you back in the right track.
This particular version of the ever-popular Khichdi is made using unpolished brown rice, which is healthier than white rice. Being unpolished it has more fibre, and is more filling and nutritious.
Speckled with cloves, pepper and cumin, this Brown Rice Khichdi is very tasty and very desi! You are sure to feel satiated, whether you have it for lunch or supper.
The Khichdi tends to solidify as it cools, so adjust the consistency just before serving by adding hot water and little more salt.
Have a go at other recipes using brown rice like Brown Rice Risotto or Mushroom Brown Rice .
- Combine the brown rice and green moong dal in a deep bowl with enough water and soak it for 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker, add the cumin seeds, asafoetida, turmeric powder, cloves and peppercorns and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the rice-moong dal, salt and 3 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add more ¾ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.