Whole Wheat Masala Bread Rolls, Healthy and Diabetic Friendly
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 114 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 21724 times
Here is a tasty alternative that will make you bid adieu to maida based breads!
Perked up with a peppy mix of herbs, spice powders and onions, the Whole Wheat Masala Bread Roll is a super tasty accompaniment to tea .
The refreshing aroma and cheery taste of coriander dominates this masaledar bread, which tastes best when had immediately after baking. We suggest having just one bread roll, occasionally.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the onions, garlic and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the coriander, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Keep aside to cool completely.
- Combine the yeast and 2 tbsp of warm water in a small bowl, cover it with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, butter, salt, yeast mixture in a deep bowl and knead it into soft dough using approx. ¾ cup of warm water.
- Cover the dough with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside for 20 minutes or till the dough rises a little.
- Add the prepared masala and knead very well.
- Divide the dough into 9 equal portions and roll each portion into a ball and place it on the greased baking tray.
- Cover them with a damp muslin cloth and keep in a warm place for 30 minutes or till they rise well.
- Bake them in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 20 minutes. Brush them with melted butter and serve hot.
- It is highly recommended that this recipe be relished by diabetics only occasionally and in small quantities. This is just a mere ‘treat’ and does not qualify for a regular diabetic menu.
Nutrient values per bread roll
|Energy|| 88 kcal|
|Protein|| 3.1 gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 17.2 gm|
|Invisible Fat|| 0.8 gm|
|Vitamin A|| 7.0 mcg|
|Vitamin C|| 0.4 mg|
|Calcium|| 13.3 mg|
|Iron|| 1.2 mg|
|Folic Acid|| 8.8 mcg|
|Fibre|| 0.5 gm|
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.