Homemade Whole Wheat Bread Sticks
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 4 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 4304 times
Half the fun of having a hot bowl of soup lies in the accompaniments, especially the bread sticks! Bread sticks can be plain, spicy or herby, but they help make a soup seem more complete and perfect!
These Homemade Whole Wheat Bread Sticks are perfectly crisp and tasty, just like the store-bought ones. In fact, the use of whole wheat flour improves the aroma and makes it more satiating and homely. Relish this crisp accompaniment with a bowl of soup and a dollop of butter.
You can also try other accompaniments like Baked Bread Rolls or Cheesy Bread Fingers .
- Combine the yeast, sugar and 2 tbsp of warm water in a small bowl, mix well and cover it with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, salt and the yeast-sugar mixture in a deep bowl and knead it into soft dough using enough warm water.
- Add 1 tsp of olive oil and knead again till smooth.
- Cover the dough with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside in a warm place for 45 minutes or till the dough rises.
- Dust a clean dry surface with little plain flour, put the dough over it and pat it lightly with your fingers to shape into a rectangle of 200 mm. (8”) x 125 mm. (5”) and do not knead at all.
- Cut it into 12 equal portions using a dusted sharp knife.
- Take a portion and roll it lightly on the surface without using any whole wheat flour into a long roll of 250 mm. (10”) each.
- Repeat step 7 with the remaining portions.
- Place all the rolled portions on a baking tray lined with butter paper.
- Bake them in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 20 minutes.
- Brush all the bread sticks with the remaining ½ tsp of olive oil evenly over them.
- Cool slightly and serve or store in an air-tight container. Use as required
Nutrient values per stick
|Vitamin A||8.6 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.4 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||3.2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.