Dinner Rolls, Eggless Rolls with Yeast
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 273 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 101209 times
Super-charge your baking skills with these sumptuous Dinner Rolls! It is essential to learn to make Dinner Rolls, if you want to boast of making your own breads and buns, as it is a versatile bread that can be served with soups and pasta .
This recipe is a quick one to make Dinner Rolls without eggs and with yeast. The first step, of course, is to learn how to handle the yeast. You must dissolve it in warm water, and not hot or cold water, in order to activate it properly. Once the yeast froths, prepare the dough and proceed.
Getting the proper shape requires a bit of practice, but it is totally worth the efforts! You will thoroughly enjoy the buttery, herby taste of these warm, soft rolls.
- Combine the yeast, sugar and 2 tbsp of warm water in a small bowl, mix well and cover it with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the plain flour, yeast-sugar mixture, 1 tbsp butter and salt in a deep bowl and knead it into soft dough using approx. ½ cup of warm water.
- Cover the dough with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside for 1 hour.
- Knead the dough again using the remaining 1/2 tbsp of butter till smooth.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of the dough into a of 250 mm. (10”) to 300 mm. (12”) thin rope.
- Hold the 2 ends and overlap each other to make a cross.
- Again hold the 2 ends and make one more cross and seal both the ends at the bottom.
- Repeat steps 6 to 8 to make 5 more rolls.
- Place them on a greased baking tray, cover with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Apply the milk evenly over it using a brush. Sprinkle little mixed herbs evenly over them.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 20 minutes.
- Brush them immediately with butter and serve hot.
Dinner Rolls Video by Tarla Dalal
Dinner Rolls, Eggless Rolls with Yeast recipe with step by step photos
Q. Can i make the Dinner rolls in any shape i like? Will this affect the baking temperature or time?
You can make the Dinner rolls, Eggless Dinner rolls with yeast in any shape you like. You can roll into a ball, make and 'S' shape or even braid it, it wont affect the time or temperature of baking.
Q. How long should an oven be pre heated to make Dinner rolls?
You should pre heat the oven for atleast 10 minutes before baking to ensure even heat distribution in the oven.
Q. My yeast did not froth. What could be the reason?
Yeast requires warmth and food to bloom. If the water is too hot the yeast will die, check the water if its warm before adding. Make sure your yeast does not come directly in contact with salt. The yeast will aslo not bloom if it is old, yeast will naturally loose its strength and wont given expected results.
Nutrient values per roll
|Vitamin A||182.9 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||0 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.