Beetroot Rice ( Tiffin Treats)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 75 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 18609 times
A nice, bright pink rice that is sure to attract your kids, the Beetroot Rice is an attractive preparation of rice and grated beetroot perked up with assorted spices. Onions add flavour and crunch to this sumptuous dish, which is quick and easy to prepare in the morning. Ensure that the Beetroot Rice is completely cool before you pack it in the box. Sipping Mint Chaas along with the Beeetroot Rice is sure to satiate your kids taste buds and tummy! So do pack some in a thermos flask.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the cardamom, clove, cinnamon, bayleaf and cumin seeds and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and cumin seeds powder and sauté on a medium flame for a few more seconds.
- Add the beetroot and sauté on a medium flame for another 2 minutes.
- Add the salt and ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the rice, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Discard the cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and bayleaf.
- Allow it to cool completely, and pack in an air-tight tiffin box.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||88.5 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin C||2.7 mg|
|Folic Acid||3.3 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.