Curd Rice, South Indian Curd Rice Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 254 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 574301 times
In South India, the Kheer and mithai are served at the start of a meal. It is the Curd Rice that comes at the end, as a flavourful and soothing finish to a traditional spread. At the same time, it is also a comforting one-dish meal that is satiating and refreshing, with its cool flavour and homely aroma.
Many people consider Curd Rice to be the best dish to carry along to school, work or travel. Easy to make, this wholesome dish is made by mixing rice with curds and tempering it with mustard and green chillies. Allow the rice to cool slightly before adding the curds, to avoid the curds from splitting.
Plain curd rice can be had accompanied with Lemon Pickle or Mango Pickle .
- Combine the rice and 2 tbsp of water in a deep bowl and mash it lightly using a potato masher.
- Add the curds and salt, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small broad non-stick pan add the mustard seeds and urad dal and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add green chillies and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the tempering to the prepared curd-rice mixture and mix well.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for 1 hour and serve chilled.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.