Ven Pongal, South Indian Breakfast
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 62 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 64957 times
Ven Pongal is South India’s equivalent of the North Indian khichdi. Cooked rice and moong dal are flavoured with ginger, crushed peppercorns and cumin seeds, and garnished with ghee-roasted cashew nuts and curry leaves.
Ven Pongal has a unique flavour and consistency, which are rich yet soothing. It is made as an offering to Gods during pujas, especially in the month of Margazhi or Dhanurmasa, which extends from mid-December to mid-January.
Hot and spicy Ven Pongal dripping with ghee tastes heavenly in the cold winter mornings – just one small serving feels like a feast!
Many families follow the practice of making this dish in an earthen pot during the Pongal festival celebrated in South India in mid-January.
Interestingly, this seemingly divine recipe is also a common breakfast item, which you get in all restaurants and even morning trains.
Try other South Indian recipes like Chakkra Pongal or South Indian Stir Fry Rice .
- Heat a small non-stick pan, add the yellow moong dal and dry roast on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Wash the dry roasted yellow moong dal and rice.
- Combine the moong dal- rice mixture, asafoetida, ½ tsp of cumin seeds, ginger, salt and 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add ½ cup of hot water and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a small non-stick pan and add the remaining 1 tsp of cumin seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the cashewnuts, coarsely crushed peppercorns and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the tempering to the dal-rice mixture and mix well.
- Serve immediately with ghee.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.