Roasted Vegetables with Brown Rice
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 242 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 29792 times
Rice is popularly eaten in all regions of Northern Italy whereas pasta is popular in the South. This recipe is a great supper dish of caramelised onion rice topped with garlic roasted vegetables and a creamy cheese sauce. Caramelising onions gives the rice a light brown colour and sautéing the rice in oil helps to keep the rice grains separate when they are cooked. Long grained rice when cooked is aromatic and flavourful and is best suited for this recipe. Oven roasted vegetables have a unique flavour that sautéed vegetables cannot match with a predominant garlic taste.
- Clean, wash and soak the rice for 10 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan, add the onion and sauté till the onion is browned. Add the garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and salt and sauté for a further 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of hot water, cover the pan with a lid and simmer on a slow flame till the rice is cooked. Keep aside.
- Combine the vegetables, garlic, olive oil and salt in a baking tray. Toss well.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 200°C (400°F) for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring once in between till they are slightly brown in colour. Keep aside.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and sauté for 1 minute.
- Gradually, add the milk and 1 cup of water, stirring continuously so that no lumps form. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from the fire, add the chilli flakes, cheese, mixed herbs, salt and pepper and stir well. Keep aside.
- Arrange a layer of the brown rice in a 200 mm. (8") diameter baking dish.
- Cover with a layer of the roasted vegetables and top with the cheese sauce.
- Just before serving, bake in a pre-heated oven at 220°C (430°F) for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.