by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 244 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 31510 times
In Italy, the term "alla fiorentina" is used for dishes that are typically connected to the city of Florence. Florentine is a style of cooking pasta, rice and vegetables in which spinach is essentially used. Risotto fiorentina is a classic preparation of cheesy creamy Italian rice cooked in stock and topped with cooked spinach, tomato purée and fresh Italian herbs - basil and parsley. Italian rice used for risotto is a round, short grained variety with a nutty flavour. Arborio rice is the very best kind to use. Risotto is best when freshly prepared and quickly eaten!
- Clean, wash and soak the rice for about 10 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan, add the carrots, green peas and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Pour 3 1/2 cups of hot water and salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer till the rice is almost cooked, adding a little water if required.
- When the rice is cooked, add the spinach, basil, celery, parsley, cheese tomato pureé and cream and red wine and mix well.
- Serve immediately.
- Toss in the greens (i.e. spinach, basil and parsley) just before you are ready to serve the risotto or they will discolour.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.