Pumpkin Gnocchi Florentine
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 41 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 17424 times
Pumpkin dumplings tossed in a crunchy walnut, spinach and cottage cheese sauce. Ground nutmeg adds a delightful new twist to this traditional favourite. Semolina is used for binding the gnocchi along with plain flour as it imparts a delicious texture to the gnocchi. Choose firm, rich, orange coloured pumpkin for a good texture and flavour. Squeeze out all the water from the pumpkin after it has been boiled to reduce the amount of flour required to bind the gnocchi. You can prepare the gnocchi in advance and toss it in the sauce just when you are ready to serve it.
- Pressure cook the pumpkin with 1/2 cup of water till it is tender. Drain and squeeze out all the water.
- Mash the pumpkin using a fork. Add the semolina, flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Divide the pumpkin mixture into approx. 30 equal sized balls.
- Press each one gently to flatten them using a fork.
- Boil plenty of water in a broad pan and add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of oil to it.
- When the water is boiling, add the gnocchi a few pieces at a time and allow them to cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Carefully remove the gnocchi out of the boiling water using a slotted spoon. Keep aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan, add the onions and sauté till the onions turn translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add the spinach, paneer, walnuts, nutmeg, cream, salt and pepper and mix well. Stir for a few minutes till all the liquid evaporates.
- Heat the butter in a pan, add the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the milk and water, stirring continuously so that lumps do not form and bring to a boil.
- Add the salt and pepper and mix well. Keep aside.
- In a large serving plate, spread the spinach mixture evenly.
- Top with the pumpkin gnocchi and pour the white sauce over.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and serve immediately.
- Cook one gnocchi first. If it crumbles in the water, add some more flour to the gnocchi dough and mix well.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.