Sambhar Rice, Sambar Sadam
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 19 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 6137 times
A traditional one-dish meal from the kitchens of Tamil Nadu, the Sambhar Rice is enjoyed so much by them that it is made on special occasions as well as lazy weekends!
They need no reason or occasion to make Sambhar Rice – if they feel like it, they make it, end of discussion! In fact, in many households, Sambhar Rice accompanied by papad and a curry of crisp, shallow-fried potatoes is a taken-for-granted Sunday menu.
With loads of veggies, a tongue-tickling spice paste and cooked dal, this rice dish is deeply satisfying. A dash of tamarind gives an exciting tang to this amazing dish.
Lace the Sambhar Rice generously with ghee, and serve it piping hot with crisp papad. You can also serve it with Curry Leaves Chutney Powder or Fried Coconut Chutney .
- Combine all the ingredients in a small non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Cool and blend in a mixer along with ½ cup of water till smooth. Keep aside.
- Combine the toovar dal, and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Mix the dal well using a spoon. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida and red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the carrot, pumpkin, onions, drumstick, tomatoes and a little salt and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, tamarind pulp and 2 cups of water, mix well and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 12 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked dal, prepared paste, rice, chilli powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 6 to 8 minutes ,while stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, add the coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot with ghee and papad.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||473.9 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||2.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||33.9 mg|
|Folic Acid||53.8 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.