How To Cook Basmati Rice
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 11 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 17388 times
Long grained rice are thin, slender varieties of rice. The best and most popular variety is the Basmati rice, which when literally translated from Hindi, means 'queen of fragrance'. Upon cooking the basmati rice, they stay pearly white and aromatic.
Basmati rice are widely used in the preparation of Indian rice dishes like Pulao and Biryani.
In fact, even Indo-Chinese, and Thai recipes are made using basmati rice in India. Add a pinch of 5 spice powder for enhance the flavor of rice while making a Chinese Rice Dishes.
Cooking basmati rice is tricky sometimes. But, just keep these few things in mind to get fluffy and separated grains. Basmati rice must be washed until the water is clear and starch-free. Also, they must be soaked for a minimum of 20-30 minutes before soaking. Some oil into the cooking vessel ensures that the grains stay separate. It is usually spread on a flat surface before being used in cooking.
Below we have shared a recipe on how to cook perfect rice in a pan with step by step photos, but our website also has a detailed recipe for How To Make Basmati Rice in A Pressure Cooker which is a quick and easy method to make long grained rice.
Also, learn the perfect way to Cook Basmati Rice for Biryani and make restaurant style Biryani at home.
- To cook basmati rice, clean, wash and soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Boil 4 cups of water in a deep pan, add the salt and 1 tbsp of oil.
- Add the rice to the boiling water and cook till the rice is 95% cooked. This should take around 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the flame and drain out all the water. Pour some cold water on the rice to arrest further cooking.
- Let all the water drain out and ensure that the rice does not contain any moisture.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp of oil and toss gently.
- Spread the cooked basmati rice on a flat surface till it is cool. Use as required.
Nutrient values per cup
|Vitamin A||108 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||5.1 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.