Healthy Oats Dosa
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 13 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 5767 times
Idli and Dosas need no introduction. One of the most famous South Indian breakfast or snack dishes, the dosa is quite versatile too.
Although the traditional one is made with a batter of rice and urad, there are innumerable variants using varied grains and pulses, some requiring grinding and fermentation and some being instant mix-and-cook versions.
Here is a Healthy Oats Dosa, made without any rice. It is made with fibre-rich oats and is good for diabetics . It is gluten-free and a good source of protein .
The dosa requires no soaking – you just need to blend and ferment, so it is relatively easier. The Healthy Oats Dosa tastes as good as regular dosas, especially when served with the trademark chutney and sambhar team!
You can also try other dosa recipes like Quinoa Dosa or Poha Dosa .
- Combine the oats and urad dal in a mixer and blend to a smooth powder.
- Add 1½ cups of water and blend again till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, cover it with a lid and keep aside to ferment in a warm place for 10 to 12 hours.
- After fermentation, add the salt and mix the batter very well.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), sprinkle a little water on the tava (griddle) and wipe it off gently using a cloth.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on it and spread it in a circular motion to make a 175 mm. (7”) diameter thin circle.
- Smear 1 tsp of ghee over it and along the edges and cook on a high flame till the dosa turns brown in colour and crisp.
- Fold over to make a semi-circle or a roll.
- Repeat steps 5 to 8 to make 4 more dosas.
- Serve immediately with sambhar.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per dosa
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.