Tomato Chutney ( Idlis and Dosas)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 922 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 301349 times
The Tomato Chutney is a tongue-tickling accompaniment that is perfect to have with idlis and dosas.
Although it takes a few minutes to prepare, many people prefer to make it often because it is faster than grating a coconut, plus it has a holistic flavour that eliminates the need for sambhar also to be served alongside the chutney.
With myriad flavour enhancers like curry leaves, onions and green chillies supporting the tanginess of tomatoes, the Tomato Chutney has a really peppy flavour that goes perfectly with plain idlis, dosas, uttapas and appe as well. Interestingly, many South Indian love to have this with chapatis and puris too.
Add your private note
Tomato Chutney ( Idlis and Dosas) recipe - How to make Tomato Chutney ( Idlis and Dosas)
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 0.50 servings
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the chana dal, urad dal and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute or till the dals turn light brown in colour.
- Add the green chillies and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
- Add the tomatoes and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the turmeric powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Allow it to cool completely and blend in a mixer till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tsp of oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Remove from the flame and pour this tempering over the chutney and mix well.
- Serve immediately or store refrigerated in an air-tight container for 2 days.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.