Benne Dosa, Dosa Using Puffed Rice
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 5 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 9779 times
Benne Dosa is an evergreen specialty of Karnataka, very famous in the heritage eateries of cities like Bangalore. Till date, you can walk into quaint, century-old eateries in the city where you will be greeted by dhoti-clad men carrying 20-30 Benne Dosas stacked along one arm, to serve to long queues of customers!
As the buttery, crisp dosas cook slowly in large iron griddles in the kitchen, the aroma of melting butter wafts along the wind and draws more customers to the already-overcrowded restaurant.
The Benne Dosa has an enticing texture, which is both crisp and spongy. To get this texture, a portion of puffed rice is included while making the batter of rice and urad. Plus, the dosas need to be cooked slowly on a medium flame.
Try this superb recipe in your own kitchen, and enjoy it for breakfast . For an authentic touch, serve it with a dollop of butter placed inside the folded dosa or on top of it.
You can also try other interesting dosas like the Rice Rava Dosa or Schezwan Cheese Dosa .
- Combine the raw rice, urad dal, puffed rice and fenugreek seeds in a deep bowl and soak it in enough water for 4 to 5 hours. Drain well.
- Blend in a mixer along with approx. ¾ cups of water till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the salt, mix well and cover with a lid and keep aside to ferment in a warm place for 8 hours.
- Once fermented, mix it very well.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) pour a ladleful of the batter over it and spread it evenly to make a 175 mm. (7”) diameter circle and cook using 1 tsp of butter on a medium flame till it turns light brown in colour or till crisp.
- Fold over to make a semi-circle or a roll.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 11 more dosas.
- Serve immediately with sambhar and coconut chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per thalipeeth
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.