Last Updated : Nov 17,2022
Viewed 79291 times
Also Known as
Kurmura, murmura, mamra
What is Puffed Rice, Kurmura? Puffed rice is a cereal usually made by heating rice kernels under high pressure in the presence of steam, to form puffed grains. There are other methods of manufacturing too.
Puffed rice is used in various breakfast cereals as well as snacks. It is the base ingredient for various street foods all over India, especially the popular chaat item Bhel Puri. It can be combined innovatively with unique combinations of vegetables, fruits, savouries, dry fruits and sauces, to make healthy snacks.
Thick puffed rice
How to Select Puffed Rice, Kurmura
• Puffed rice is readily available at all grocery stores, in packages and wholesale bins.
• Always confirm on the freshness and crispness of the puffed rice before purchasing. Old stock often has a rancid taste.
• Also avoid lots that are contaminated with stones or debris.
Culinary Uses of Puffed Rice, Kurmura
• Puffed rice or murmura is the key ingredient of the mouth-watering Indian snack - Bhel Puri.
Bhel Puri is one of the most renowned snacks in Mumbai and is sold street side. It is tangy, spicy, fresh and super easy to make! The bhaiyyas that sell them add chatpata chaat masala, tomatoes, onions, papdi, sev, different chutneys and coriander. Depending on how one likes it, there are two types. Dry or Sukha bhel is more on the drier side with less chutneys, while Geela Bhel has more of chutneys and spices, though both of them are equally mouthwatering.
A simple yet satiating snack is Sev murmura which is a little similar to bhel but only has puffed rice, sev and flavored with turmeric and chilli powder. Kolhapuri Bhadang Murmura is a crispy Maharashtrian jar snack that is sautéed in garlic, peanuts and just a tiny bit of sugar. This snack has a brilliant aroma and tempts anyone who comes near it.
• Puffed rice can also be eaten with milk and sugar.
• It is often used for ready-to-eat cereals and commercially-prepared rice cakes.
• Delicious chikkis can be made by combining puffed rice with jaggery and nuts.
• It is often eaten by itself, roasted with salt and turmeric. It can also be roasted with sweet and sour seasonings, and made crunchier by adding fried cashews or groundnuts, sev etc.
How to Store Puffed Rice, Kurmura
• Puffed rice is best stored in an airtight container.
• It should be kept at room temperature and best consumed within 3 to 4 weeks.
• Always ensure that you close the puffed rice container well, as air and moisture can cause the puffed rice to become soggy.
Nutritive Information for Puffed Rice:
1 Cup of puffed rice is about 14 grams
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
Energy - 33 calories
Protein – 1 g
Carbohydrate – 10.3 g
Fat – 0.01 g
Fiber – 0.04 g
0.02 mg of Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) = 2% of RDA ( (about 1.2 to 1.6 mg for men)
0.57 mg of Vitamin B3 (Niacin) = 4.8 % of RDA (about 12 mg)
21.6 mcg of Folate (Vitamin B9) = 21.6% of RDA (about 100 mcg)
3.2 mg of Calcium = 0.32% of RDA (about 1000 mg)
0.92 mg of Iron = 4.6% of RDA (about 20 mg)
4.2 mg of Magnesium = 1.2% of RDA (about 350 mg)
21 mg of Phosphorus = 3.5% of RDA (about 600 mg)
0.15mg of Zinc = 1.3% of RDA (about 10 to 12 mg)
16.2 mg of Potassium = 0.3% of RDA (about 4700 g)
How Healthy is Puffed Rice for Weight Loss?
As very easily understood by now that puffed rice is low calories and thus should rationally be added to a weight loss diet. While you can argue that in comparison with other cereals, it really doesn’t add calories. But for an ingredient to qualify for weight loss, low calorie isn’t the only green signal. Protein and fiber are equally important. The ingredients should be a good source of these 2 key nutrients as well. Protein is required to build muscle and aid in weight loss, while fiber is needed to keep you full for long hours and avoid binge eating. Puffed rice not being high in fiber will make you feel hungry sooner. So this isn’t a very healthier addition to a weight loss diet. However, as compared to fried snacks and other calorie and carb loaded snacks, puffed rice will gain the high score. So it is totally on you to make your wise choice.
Click here to know more about the How Healthy is Puffed Rice for Weight Loss?.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.