Hypothyroidism Veg Diet Plan, Indian Hypothyroidism Recipes
Hypothyroidism Veg Diet Plan, Indian Hypothyroidism Recipes. Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland of our body fails to produce enough thyroid hormone which is extremely essential for various metabolic functions in our body. Apart from this, the thyroid hormone is also necessary to maintain normal heartbeat, body temperature and blood pressure. In case of hypothyroidism, these body processes slow down thereby decreasing the basic metabolic rate of the body. The major symptoms of hypothyroidism are weight gain, fatigue, dry skin, constipation, slow heart rate and hair loss.
Minty Apple Salad
Medication is definitely crucial in controlling hypothyroidism, but managing your diet well will also help to control the thyroid hormone.
12 major foods to be included in the Indian Hypothyroidism Veg Diet Plan are
1. Iodized salt
2. Whole grains like quinoa, brown rice, oats, buckwheat are best.
3. Sea weed is a good source of iodine and especially for those with heart problems or high Bp who cannot eat much table salt.
4. Selenium rich foods like barely, brazil nuts.
5. Garlic and onions.
6. Olive oil
7. Dals like Masoor dal, green moong dal , yellow moong dal , urad dal, toor dal and pulses
8. Antioxidant rich Raspberries and blackberries.
9. Other fruits like apple (rich in fiber), Avocado (rich in MUFA), Cherries, grapefruit, kiwi, papaya and prunes.
10. Vegetables like Carrots, Tomatoes, avocado, cucumber, capsicum, Mushrooms, beetroot, ladies finger, potatoes, pumpkin, zucchini, onions.
11. Alfalfa sprouts
12. Include herbs like chillies, garlic, cinnamon, turmeric, parsley. Some of these raise metabolism.
Masoor Dal, Easy Masoor Dal Recipe
Healthy Indian Hypothyroidism Recipes
Barley being the richest source of selenium is a healthy option to include in your Hypothyroidism diet. Try the barley khichdi with lots of mixed vegetables. A variant is barley and moong dal khichdi recipe. The super thing is that none of these recipes have any rice added to it and hence no simple carbs added. My favourite is barley soup which soothes your sore throat or cures a bug in you.
Barley and Moong Dal Khichdi
Buckwheat is a very good source of Iron and good to prevent anaemia. Rich in folate and good food for pregnant women and is great for Hypothyroidism diet. Have some yummy buckwheat pancakes or have the buckwheat and sprouts khichdi recipe.
Buckwheat Pancakes, Kuttu Pancake Diabetic Snacks
Oats Healthy Indian Hypothyroidism Recipes
Oats are a great source of protein for Vegetarians. It is rich in soluble fibre (to make it good for diabetics), which helps lower blood LDL cholesterol, the so-called "Bad" cholesterol and is great for Hypothyroidism diet. There are so many exciting Indian recipes you can make using oats. For snacks you can have oats methi muthia recipe and oats moong dal tikki recipe. For South Indian lovers we have oats idli recipe and oats mutter dosa recipe.
Oats Moong Dal Tikki
12 Foods are to be avoided for Hypothyroidism Veg Diet Plan
1. Refined foods like pasta, bread, burgers.
2. Soya and its products are best avoided as high amounts of estrogen can increase the risk of hypothyroidism.
3. Avoid millets especially bajra as much as possible as it is known to be goitrogenic.
4. Ready to eat foods and packaged foods.
5. Gluten rich foods like wheat, semolina, rye and bulgur wheat and barley if you have gluten sensitivity or digestion problems.
6. Cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli and cabbage, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, kale, turnips, and pak choi can interfere with the production of thyroid hormone, particularly people who have an iodine deficiency goitre. Digesting these vegetables can block the thyroid's ability to absorb iodine, which is essential for normal thyroid function. Best is to cook them well as goitrogenic compounds get destroyed and have in small amounts occasionally.
7. Other vegetables like corn, asparagus, radish, spinach, sweet potato, mustard greens.
8. Almonds, cashew, peanuts, flax seeds, walnuts, and pine nuts as they have thyroid inhibiting compounds.
9. High fat dairy products should be restricted and avoided completely if you are allergic to it. Best is to try and find out for yourself.
10. Canned juices and sodas.
11. Coffee, alcohol, soft drinks, jams, jellies, pastries etc.
12. Fruits like peach, pear and strawberries.
Try the recipes from this section and stay healthy!
Enjoy our Hypothyroidism Veg Diet Plan, Indian Hypothyroidism Recipes and other Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism recipe articles below.
Diabetes Hypothyroidism Diet Recipes
Hair Growth Hypothyroidism Diet Recipes
High Blood Pressure Hypothyroidism Diet Recipes
High Cholestrol Hypothyroidism Diet Recipes
Iron Deficiency (Anaemia) Hypothyroidism Diet Recipes
Pregnancy Hypothyroidism Diet Recipes
Weight Loss Hypothyroidism Diet Recipes
Hyperthyroidism Diet Recipes
Diarrhea Hyperthyroidism Diet Recipes
High Calorie Diet Multi Nutrient Food Recipes
Pregnancy Hyperthyroidism Diet Recipes