This category has been viewed 26965 times
Healthy Recipes >
Hypothyroidism Diet recipes
Last Updated : Dec 12,2017
Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland of our body fails to produce enough thyroid hormone which is extremely essential for various metabolic functions in our body. Apart from this, the thyroid hormone is also necessary to maintain normal heartbeat, body temperature and blood pressure. In case of hypothyroidism, these body processes slow down thereby decreasing the basic metabolic rate of the body. The major symptoms of hypothyroidism are weight gain, fatigue, dry skin, constipation, slow heart rate and hair loss.
Medication is definitely crucial in controlling hypothyroidism, but managing your diet well will also help to control the throid hormone.
The major foods to be included in the diet are:
1. Iodized salt
2. Whole grains quinoa, brown rice, oats, buckwheat are best.
3. Sea weed is a good source of iodine and especially for those with heart problems or high Bp who cannot eat much table salt.
4. Selenium rich foods like brazil nuts.
5. Garlic and onion
6. Olive oil
7. Dals and pulses
8. Antioxidant rich Raspberries and blackberries.
9. Other fruits like apple (rich in fiber), Avocado (rich in MUFA), Cherries, grapefruit, kiwi, papaya and prunes.
10. Vegetables like carrot, tomato, avocado, cucumber, capsicum, mushroom, beet, ladies finger, potatoes, pumpkin, zucchini, onions.
11. Alfa Alfa sprouts
12. Include herbs like chillies, garlic, cinnamon, turmeric, parsley. Some of these raise metabolism.
On the other hand the below listed foods are to be avoided:
1. Refined foods like pasta, bread, burgers.
2. Soya and its products are best avoided as high amounts of estrogen can increase the risk of hypothyroidism.
3. Avoid millets especially bajra as much as possible as it is known to be goitrogenic.
4. Ready to eat foods and packaged foods.
5. Gluten rich foods like wheat, semolina rye, bulgur wheat and barley if you have gluten sensitivity.
6. Cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli and cabbage, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, kale, turnips, and pak choi can interfere with the production of thyroid hormone, particularly people who have an iodine deficiency goitre. Digesting these vegetables can block the thyroid's ability to absorb iodine, which is essential for normal thyroid function. Best is to cook them well as goitrogenic compounds get destroyed and have in small amounts occasionally.
7. Other vegetables like corn, asparagus, radish, spinach, sweet potato, mustard greens.
8. Almonds, cashew, peanuts, flax seeds, walnuts, and pine nuts as they have thyroid inhibiting compounds.
9. High fat dairy products should be restricted and avoided completely if you are allergic to it. Best is to try and find out for yourself.
10. Canned juices and sodas.
11. Coffee, alcohol, soft drinks, jams, jellies, pastries etc.
12. Fruits like peach, pear and strawberries.
Try the recipes from this section and stay healthy!
14 Mar 15
Oats Moong Dal Tikki by Tarla Dalal
Oats and moong dal combine excitingly with an assortment of Indian spices to make a fibre and protein rich snack that will satisfy the food lover and health freak in you! To get perfect Oats Moong Dal Tikkis, shape them thinly and cook on a slow flame to ensure complete and uniform cooking. These ti ....
20 Jul 12
Apple Carrot Drink by Tarla Dalal
Apples with skin gives us fibre and vitamin c and carrots is a good source of vitamin a. . This drink is great to be had in the morning as it is very refreshing and healthy. . . Make this as close as possible to serving time. . .
05 Nov 15
Minty Apple Salad by Tarla Dalal
Just a look at this delightful salad is enough to boost your appetite, but even if that does not work, a cupful of it will undoubtedly help you fight Anorexia
A lovely combination of apple cubes dotted with peppy mint leaves, and laced wit ....
31 Dec 15
Masoor Dal, Easy Masoor Dal Recipe by Tarla Dalal
Here is something you can prepare on any day, to enjoy the satiating wholesomeness of home-cooked meals! This Masoor Dal is prepared using common spice powders and pastes, not to forget tasty onions and tomatoes, which give it a lip-smacking flavour and aroma.
Serve it hot with your favourite ....
18 Oct 10
Tomato Methi Rice ( Iron Rich Recipe ) by Tarla Dalal
Iron-laden methi greens are combined with vitamin c rich tomatoes which helps in the absorption of iron. For an additional fibre touch, i have used the unpolished brown rice which is beneficial for weight watchers, diabetics and people with high cholesterol.
21 Jan 09
12 Apr 15
Fenugreek and Mushroom Brown Rice by Tarla Dalal
Rice is usually a no-no for diabetics because it causes a quick rise in blood sugar levels. To counter the effect of high glycemic index white rice, replace it with high fibre brown rice and toss in some fibre-rich vegetables along with diabetic-friendly ingredients like garlic and fenugreek to crea ....
23 Aug 11
Pyazwali Bhindi ( Healthy Heart) by Tarla Dalal
A perfect low calorie version of the famous north-indian delicacy in which the ladies finger is tossed with sautéed onions. Traditionally the bhindis are deep-fried to whip up this delicacy. Here is a heart-friendly variation to enjoy your favourite subzi and yet keep a check on calories as well as ....
11 Nov 08
Zucchini, Bell Pepper and Sprouted Moong Salad by Tarla Dalal
This is one of the most fabulous ways to consume sprouted moong. Teamed up with Vitamin C rich colourful capsicums, juicy zucchini and yummy apples, the fibre rich sprouts turn into a terrific treat for your taste buds.
Apple adds a nice fruity note to the Zucchini and Bell Pepper Sprouted Moo ....
23 Nov 15
Oats Khichdi by Tarla Dalal
A garlic-infused khichdi that is sure to draw you to the table! With fibre-rich oats and protein-rich moong dal, this low-glycemic index meal is ideal for weight watchers too. Interestingly, this easy-to-make Oats Khichdi makes use of minimal ingredients, as garlic and green chillies do the flavouri ....
20 Aug 09
Watermelon Apple Drink ( Weight Loss After Pregnancy ) by Tarla Dalal
Watermelon apple drink, cool off on hot afternoons with this refreshing, icy and nutritious drink. Iron rich watermelon and fibre rich apple help maintain good bowel function. Those keen to lose weight will relish this healthy, fruity option to sugar laden high-calorie drinks. Easily made, quickly c ....
11 Nov 08
Oats, Vegetable and Brown Rice Khichdi by Tarla Dalal
An all-in-one meal, which is not only satiating but also gives a bounty of nutrients like antioxidants vitamin A and folic acid to nourish the baby’s brain and skin, and good quality protein and calcium for strong bones, along with iron to build up your iron stores.
Brown rice gives you loads ....
18 Mar 16
17 Nov 10
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.