Healthy Lentil Soup, Yellow Moong Dal Soup Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 99 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 70377 times
The yellow colour and soothing mushiness of moong dal are a pleasant contrast to the vibrant orange colour and snappy juiciness of carrots, making this Healthy Lentil Soup a very appealing entrée.
Not only is it tasty, this sumptuous soup is also beneficial in keeping blood pressure under control, thanks to the high potassium content of moong dal. This treat also comes at a lower calorie count, as we have omitted cream and used a little cornflour instead to thicken the soup.
Serve with Whole Wheat Vegetable Burger , Masala Wheat Dosa or Paneer Tikka Kathi Rolls to make a satiating mini meal.
- Wash and soak the moong dal in enough for 2 to 3 hours. Drain well.
- Combine the moong dal, onions, carrots and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Allow it to cool and blend in a mixer to a smooth puree. Keep aside.
- Combine the cornflour with ¼ cup of water in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in deep non-stick pan, add the onions, garlic and celery and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the moong dal purée, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the barley, salt, pepper and cornflour-water mixture, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
- Add salt while pressure cooking the barley.
- Pearl barley is easily available at local chemists. Wash it thoroughly and cook in boiling water like rice.
- The water in which barley is cooked is nutritious and rich in antioxidants that help to fight diseases.
- It can be used for kneading dough or added to buttermilk or soups.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.