Valor Muthia Nu Shaak, Gujarati Sabzi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 172 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 125576 times
valor muthia nu shaak | valor papdi muthia sabzi | Gujarati valor papdi nu shaak | flat beans muthia sabzi | with amazing 20 images.
valor muthia nu shaak features a lovely combination of valor papdi and muthia. But, however uncommon the combination might sound to you, it is very common in Gujarati tradition, and valor papdi muthia sabzi is a must-serve item for weddings held in Gujarat. In the customary way, people add the muthias directly without steaming, but that takes much longer to cook. So, I always suggest steaming and adding the muthias as in this quick and easy version. You can even use left over muthia’s which will make the process quicker.
Preparation for valor muthia nu shaak takes a while but the outcome is amazing and super tasty. We have made a special Gujarati coconut coriander masala and have added to the sabzi, which makes the valor papdi muthia sabzi super delicious. An irresistible preparation of flat green beans (valor papdi) and fenugreek dumplings, this is the next best choice when fresh vaal or papdi is not in season.
Once you have done all the preparation, cooking flat beans muthia sabzi a cake walk as all you need to do is mix and cook. I make this Gujarati valor papdi nu shaak in winters as valor papdi is in peak season and this is one recipe that my mother-in-law thought me and everyone in my family loves it. This is one of the most comforting combinations for a cold winter’s day!
Remember to apply the salt and soda an hour before you prepare the valor papdi muthia sabzi, to ensure the fresh green colour and smooth texture of the beans.
You can also try other shaak recipes like Batata Chips Nu Shaak and Bhinda Sambhariya.
Learn to make valor muthia nu shaak | valor papdi muthia sabzi | Gujarati valor papdi nu shaak | flat beans muthia sabzi | with detailed step by step recipe photos below.
Add your private note
Valor Muthia Nu Shaak, Gujarati Sabzi recipe - How to make Valor Muthia Nu Shaak, Gujarati Sabzi
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 4 servings
- To make valor muthia nu shaak, wash the valor, drain, cut into 3 equal parts and separate the seeds. Transfer into a deep bowl, add a pinch of baking soda and salt, mix well and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai, add the mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the valor papdi along with 1½ cups of water and mix well.
- Add the coconut-coriander paste, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder, chilli powder, sugar, salt (as per taste) and mix well. Cover and cook on a medium flame for 20 minutes or till the valor papdi is almost cooked, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the muthias one at a time and toss gently.
- Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve the valor muthia nu shaak hot with rotlas or rotis.
Valor Muthia Nu Shaak, Gujarati Sabzi recipe with step by step photos
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.