valor muthia nu shaak | valor papdi muthia sabzi | Gujarati valor papdi nu shaak | flat beans muthia sabzi |
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 173 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 156979 times
valor muthia nu shaak | valor papdi muthia sabzi | Gujarati valor papdi nu shaak | flat beans muthia sabzi | with amazing 20 images.
valor muthia nu shaak features a lovely combination of valor papdi and muthia. But, however uncommon the combination might sound to you, it is very common in Gujarati tradition, and valor papdi muthia sabzi is a must-serve item for weddings held in Gujarat. In the customary way, people add the muthias directly without steaming, but that takes much longer to cook. So, I always suggest steaming and adding the muthias as in this quick and easy version. You can even use left over muthia’s which will make the process quicker.
Preparation for valor muthia nu shaak takes a while but the outcome is amazing and super tasty. We have made a special Gujarati coconut coriander masala and have added to the sabzi, which makes the valor papdi muthia sabzi super delicious. An irresistible preparation of flat green beans (valor papdi) and fenugreek dumplings, this is the next best choice when fresh vaal or papdi is not in season.
Once you have done all the preparation, cooking flat beans muthia sabzi a cake walk as all you need to do is mix and cook. I make this Gujarati valor papdi nu shaak in winters as valor papdi is in peak season and this is one recipe that my mother-in-law thought me and everyone in my family loves it. This is one of the most comforting combinations for a cold winter’s day!
Remember to apply the salt and soda an hour before you prepare the valor papdi muthia sabzi, to ensure the fresh green colour and smooth texture of the beans.
You can also try other shaak recipes like Batata Chips Nu Shaak and Bhinda Sambhariya.
Learn to make valor muthia nu shaak | valor papdi muthia sabzi | Gujarati valor papdi nu shaak | flat beans muthia sabzi | with detailed step by step recipe photos below.
Add your private note
Valor Muthia Nu Shaak, Gujarati Sabzi recipe - How to make Valor Muthia Nu Shaak, Gujarati Sabzi
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 4 servings
- To make valor muthia nu shaak, wash the valor, drain, cut into 3 equal parts and separate the seeds. Transfer into a deep bowl, add a pinch of baking soda and salt, mix well and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai, add the mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the valor papdi along with 1½ cups of water and mix well.
- Add the coconut-coriander paste, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder, chilli powder, sugar, salt (as per taste) and mix well. Cover and cook on a medium flame for 20 minutes or till the valor papdi is almost cooked, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the muthias one at a time and toss gently.
- Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve the valor muthia nu shaak hot with rotlas or rotis.
Valor Muthia Nu Shaak, Gujarati Sabzi recipe with step by step photos
If you like valor muthia nu shaak | valor papdi muthia sabzi | Gujarati valor papdi nu shaak | flat beans muthia sabzi | given below is the list to similar recipes :
To make valor muthia nu shaak | valor papdi muthia sabzi | Gujarati valor papdi nu shaak | flat beans muthia sabzi | take washed, drained and stringed valor papdi in a bowl.
Cut each valor papdi into 3 and separate the seeds. Transfer into a deep bowl, add the baking soda and salt.
Mix well and keep aside for 5 minutes. This process will help in quickening the process of cooking valor papdi as it takes time for papdi to be cooked.
Further, to proceed making valor muthia nu shaak, heat oil in a non-stick kadhai. You can also use ghee if you wish to.
Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds.
When the seeds crackle, add valor.
Add 1 1/2 cup of water.
Add coconut coriander paste. Learn how to make coconut coriander paste step by step.
Add coriander-cumin seed powder.
Add chilli powder.
. Mix well and cover and cook on medium flame for 20 minutes or till the valor papdi is cooked, while stirring occasionally.
Add the muthia. Learn how to make palak methi muthia at home.
Toss gently. Cook valor muthia nu shaak | valor papdi muthia sabzi | Gujarati valor papdi nu shaak | flat beans muthia sabzi | for 2-3 minutes.
Serve valor muthia nu shaak | valor papdi muthia sabzi | Gujarati valor papdi nu shaak | flat beans muthia sabzi | hot with roti.
For Palak Methi na Muthia ingredients. See detailed step by step palak methi muthia recipe.
- To make palak methi na muthia, combine the spinach, fenugreek leaves and a little salt in a plate, mix well and keep aside for about 5 minutes.
- Squeeze out all the liquid and place the spinach and fenugreek leaves in a bowl.
- Add the ginger-green chilli paste, whole wheat flour, besan, semolina, cumin seeds, baking soda, sugar, salt and 1 tsp oil and knead into a very soft dough.
- Apply ¼ tsp of oil on your hands and divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Shape each portion into a cylindrical roll approx. 150 mm. (6") length and 25 mm. (1") in diameter.
- Arrange the rolls on a greased sieve and steam in a steamer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove, cool slightly and cut into 12 mm. (½") slices and keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the remaining 1 tsp of oil in a deep pan and add the mustard seeds and sesame seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and sauté for 15 seconds.
- Add the sliced palak methi na muthias, toss gently on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes till they are lightly browned.
- Serve the palak methi na muthia hot with green chutney.
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.