Palak Methi Na Muthia, Gujarati Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 1017 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 137997 times
I’d say, “steam them, season them, and gobble them up!” you should ideally follow this process in quick succession and serve the palak methi na muthia soon after steaming—as freshness ensures the greatest satisfaction as far as this dish goes.
It does take a while to painstakingly clean and chop the spinach and fenugreek leaves for making the dumplings, but it is definitely worth the while.
You can also try other muthias like Palak and Doodhi Muthia and Bajra Onion Muthia .
- Combine the spinach, fenugreek leaves and a little salt in a plate, mix well and keep aside for about 5 minutes.
- Squeeze out all the liquid and place the spinach and fenugreek leaves in a bowl.
- Add the ginger-green chilli paste, whole wheat flour, besan, semolina, cumin seeds, baking soda, sugar, salt and 1 tsp oil and knead into a very soft dough.
- Apply ¼ tsp of oil on your hands and divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Shape each portion into a cylindrical roll approx. 150 mm. (6") length and 25 mm. (1") in diameter.
- Arrange the rolls on a greased sieve and steam in a steamer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove, cool slightly and cut into 12 mm. (½") slices and keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the remaining 1 tsp of oil in a deep pan and add the mustard seeds and sesame seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and sauté for 15 seconds.
- Add the sliced muthias, toss gently on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes till they are lightly browned.
- Serve hot with green chutney.
- It will take approx. 20 minutes on a medium flame for the muthias to be cooked till done.
- To check if the muthias are done, insert a toothpick in the centre. If it comes out clean, the muthias are cooked.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||3154.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1 mg|
|Vitamin C||29.5 mg|
|Folic Acid||69.8 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.