green moong dal
Last Updated : Mar 31,2020
Viewed 122118 times
What is Moong Dal, Green Moong Dal ?Moong or green gram is a small ¼-inch, round, olive-green bean that is mustard or off-white coloured inside. The beans have a sweet flavour, soft texture, and are easy to digest. Green gram is available in many forms including whole, split, de-husked (yellow) and ground. Split moong beans or green moong dal is green gram that has been split but not skinned. Since the husk is not removed completely, the green colour is retained. The splitting is done in a mill.
Green moong dal a traditional ingredient in Indian cooking, often used in curries. Like other legumes, split green gram is low in fat and high in protein and fibre, but it has the added advantage of cooking quickly. Due to its mild, earthy flavour, green moong dal is best cooked with assertive flavourings.
Soaked green moong dal
Clean, wash and soak the moong dal in enough water for a minimum of 1 hour and use as per recipe requirements.
How to select Moong Dal, Green Moong Dal
• The green moong dal should be free of dust, stones and other debris.
• Check the packaging date, to choose a recent lot.
Culinary uses of Moong Dal, Green Moong Dal
• Split green gram is cooked as any other dal is cooked.
• It can be pressure-cooked along with chopped onions, tomatoes, chillies and ginger-garlic paste, and then tempered with jeera in ghee.
• Split lentils don't hold their shape well, so they're often cooked into soups or purées.
• Cooked moong dal along with jaggery and milk is used in Tamil Nadu to make an elaichi-tinged kheer, called payasam.
• Split moong beans can also be ground in a mill or blender and used to make vegetable fritters.
• It can be soaked in water and ground into a batter for dal dosa or uttappam.
How to store Green Moong Dal
• Store split green gram in an airtight container.
Nutritional Benefits of Green Moong Dal, Split Green Gram
1/2 cup uncooked Green Moong Dal (108 g) gives 1.33 cups of soaked dal which is equivalent to 1.5 cups of cooked Dal. So we have given below the value for 1 cup of cooked dal.
One cup of cooked Green Moong dal is obtained from approximately raw ½ cup of raw green Moong dal.
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
24.5 grams of Protein
59.9 grams of Carbs
8.2 g of fiber
1.2 grams of Fat
287 mg of Phosphorus : 47.92% of RDA (about 600 mg for adult)
99.4 mcg of Folate, Vitamin B9 = 39.76% of RDA (about 250 mg)
17.3 g of Protein = 31.4% of RDA ( about 55 g)
86.6 mg of Magnesium (Mg) = 24.7% of RDA (about 350 mg )
5.8 g of High Fiber = 23.2 % of RDA (about 25 g)
1.98 mg of Zinc = 19.8% of RDA (about 10 to 12 mg)
816 mg of Potassium (K) : 17.7% of RDA (about 4,700 mg)
2.76 g of Iron = 13.1% of RDA (about 21 mg)
.85 g of Fat = 1.28% of RDA (about 66 g)
53g of Calcium = 8.8% of RDA (about 600 mg)
9 Fabulous Health Benefits of Moong Dal, Green Moong Dal + 8 healthy moong dal recipes
Moong Dal benefits, Green Moong Dal benefits. Split moong beans or green moong dal is green gram that has been split but not skinned. Since the husk is not removed completely, the green colour is retained. The splitting is done in a mill.
Green moong dal a traditional ingredient in Indian cooking, often used in curries. Like other legumes, split green gram is low in fat and high in protein and fibre, but it has the added advantage of cooking quickly. Here we bring you 9 fabulous health benefits of moong dal.
1. Good for Blood: Moong dal is rich in Folate, Vitamin B9 or Folic Acid which helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially red blood cells. Pair moong dal with rice to make soothing Moong Dal Khichdi.
2. Importance during pregnancy: It is particularly important for pregnant women to have enough folate. They must start having folate rich foods even while they are planning to conceive. Folic acid deficiency in pregnancy can cause neural tube defects in the growing baby. Optimum folate levels need to be maintained before and during pregnancy. Try combining more than one source of folate in one recipe to make up for your increased nutrient demands of pregnancy. Once such flavourful dish is Moong Dal Sultani.
Click here to know more about the 9 Fabulous Health Benefits of Moong Dal, Green Moong Dal.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.