Mixed Dal Handvo ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 545 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 588606 times
Mixed dal handvo is a traditional gujarati savoury cake, which is a nutritious meal in its own right when served with chutney and buttermilk. Although readymade flour is available in the market, we suggest you try this version to experience the true flavour. The grated bottle gourd is a very critical ingredient in this recipe as it imparts the required softness to the handvo – such that it is crisp outside but soft inside. Go ahead and follow these instructions meticulously—you are sure to end up with perfect handvo!
- Clean, wash and soak the dals, rice and whole wheat together in enough water for atleast 4 to 5 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Blend the dals, rice and whole wheat in a mixer to a smooth mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, add the curds and mix well. Cover and keep aside to ferment overnight.
- Add the bottle gourd, 1 tsp oil, lemon juice, soda bi-carb, sugar, chilli powder, turmeric powder, ginger-green chilli paste and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tsp of oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds, carom seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour half the batter evenly to make a thick layer.
- Cover and cook on a slow flame 9 minutes or till the base turns golden brown in colour and crisp.
- Lift the handvo gently using 2 large flat spoons and turn it over to the other side.
- Cover and cook on a slow flame for another 7 minutes or till it turns golden brown in colour.
- Cool slightly and cut into square pieces.
- Repeat the steps 7 to 11 to make one more handvo.
- Serve immediately.
- For making mini handvos, divide the same mixture into 4 equal portions and pour each portion into a small non-stick kadhai or a pan and spread it evenly to make a thin layer. Cover and cook on a slow flame till both sides turn golden brown in colour and crisp. This allows more uniform and much quick
- You can also cook the handvo in an oven. Simply pour the batter into a greased baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200ºc (400ºf) for 30 to 35 minutes or till the crust is golden brown in colour.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||77.5 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||2.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||28.6 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.