Dal Ke Parathe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 227 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 54833 times
Sumptuous whole wheat parathas stuffed with a lip-smacking filling of soaked and sautéed green moong dal simply spiced with fennel seeds, turmeric and chilli powders. You might wonder what use a quarter teaspoon of turmeric and half a teaspoon of fennel could be, but these wonder ingredients work magically to enhance the aroma of the Dal ke Parathe when they get cooked on the griddle.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water. Cover and keep aside.
- Combine the soaked and drained green moong dal in a mixer and blend into a coarse mixture, without using any water. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the coarsely crushed dal and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the flame, add the fennel seeds, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Divide the filling into 8 equal portions and keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions.
- Roll out each portion into a 75 mm. (3") diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Place a portion of the filling in the centre of the dough circle and bring together the edges in the centre to seal the filling inside the dough.
- Roll out the stuffed dough circle into 125 mm. (5'') diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the paratha, using a little oil, till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Repeat steps 2 to 5 to make 7 more parathas.
- Serve immediately with fresh curds.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per paratha
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.