Green Moong Dal and Palak Handvo
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 243 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 104674 times
A delicacy from the heartland of Gujarat, Handvo is a unique dish baked in a Kadhai over a traditional tempering and sautéed veggies. Here, we have used a batter of green moong dal which gives a homely flavour and enticing mouth-feel. Ingredients like spinach, onions, coriander and others add to the flavour, while a tempering of sesame really uplifts the aroma. Take care while turning over the handvo, as it must be done slowly without breaking it. Together with peppy green chutney, the Green Moong Dal and Palak Handvo makes an amazing Evening Tea Snacks It can also be served along with a full meal, as a starter.
- Put the green moong dal in a mixer and blend in a mixer to a coarse mixture, without using any water.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the spinach, curd, soda bi-card, coriander, green chilli paste, lemon juice, ¼ tsp asafoetida and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions, sesame seeds and the remaining ¼ tsp of asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Pour the green moong dal mixture over it and spread it evenly with a back of a spoon.
- Cover it with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till the base turns golden brown in colour and crisp.
- Lift the handvo gently using 2 large flat spoons and turn it over to the other side.
- Cover and cook on a medium flame for another 10 minutes or till it turns golden brown in colour.
- Cool slightly and cut into equal pieces.
- Serve hot with green chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.