11 Soothing Indian Kadhi Recipes For Your Everyday Meal
When talking about comfort food, how can one not mention the very versatile and delectable " Kadhi ".
The basic ingredient of a Kadhi is curd. Probiotic in nature, curd is a very versatile ingredient. It is high in protein and thus a healthy addition to our diet. Learn How to Set Curd at Home.
How To Make Curd Or Dahi At Home
We relish with either rotis or rice . You would surely adore these exciting additions to your menu.
From simple Kadhi to a varieties of Kadhi are prepared across different states of India. Take a look at them!
1. Gujarati Kadhi also called as buttermilk soup has been a part of various cultures, since long. This is thickened with besan and usually sweetened by the addition of sugar. There is also equal amount of spice by way of green chillies. This is best served with any khichdi of your choice.
2. Even Punjabi Kadhi, contain pretty much the same ingredients and yet have unique distinct flavours. But it isn’t sweet. Instead North Indians prefer adding onions to their Kadhi. It is usally yellow due to the addition of turmeric powder.
3. A variation this is Punjabi Pakoda Kadhi. With the same kadhi as base, deep fried besan pakodas are added. They are simmered in Kadhi for 5 minutes to absorb the flavours of the kadhi. They prefer serving it with steamed rice.
Punjabi Pakoda Kadhi
4. Kadhi is an integral part of the Indian Cuisine even down the South It is loved by all. They use buttermilk made from curd but instead of besan, they thicken it with a paste of coconut and it is named as More Kuzhambu.
5. The best combination of Kadhi is with pakodas or dumplings. But really when it comes to cooking and experimenting, they all turn out to be absolutely brilliant. Some popular kadhi recipes are Palak Pakoda Kadhi and Dapka Kadhi .
6. Coconut Kadhi is very different from these above said Kadhi. It is made with coconut milk. Wholesome, healthy and appetizing it is guaranteed to add interest to your table. It is simply soothing and luscious main meal accompaniment.
7. Sindhi Kadhi is yet another delicacy which is completely different from other Kadhi recipes. Vegetables like potatoes, drumstick, cluster beans and bhindi are simmered in water and it is slightly thickened with besan. It is slightly tangy because of the addition of tamarind pulp.
8.You would be surprised that Indians have a Kadhi recipe for fasting days too – Rajgira Kadhi. Curd is on the allowed list during fasting, vrat. That same ingredient is thickened with rajgira flour. The tempering of mustard seeds is replaced with cumin seeds and table salt is replaced with rock salt.
Rajgira ki Kadhi
9. The unique and flavourful kadhi made of kokum in Kokum Kadhi is a great combination for plain rice. Although you might worry about the bitterness, you will be surprised to know that when kokum is soaked, drained and cooked in coconut milk base, the bitterness turns out to be quite pleasant to the palate.
10. And lastly tomatoes have been used to make Kadhi in the form of Tamatar ki Kadhi. Tomatoes are cooked and pureed. It is flavoured with a tempering of oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, green chillies and curry leaves. Spiced up with common Indian masalas and finally jaggery is added to balance the sourness of tomatoes.
Tamatar ki Kadhi ( Indian Cooking)