Plain Ragi Roti, Plain Nachni Roti
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 9 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 20397 times
plain ragi roti recipe | soft ragi roti |plain nachni roti | gluten-free nachni roti | with amazing 16 images.
A hearty roti that is sure to remind you of home. The plain ragi roti recipe or ragi chapatti is made from 100% ragi making it super healthy. This Indian bread is also called plain nachni roti or red millet roti.
This sumptuous plain ragi roti is rich in calcium and protein, which are required to support our bones and maintain the cells in our body respectively.
Method to make plain ragi roti is very easy. All you need to do is knead a dough combining ragi flour, ghee which will help in making the roti soft as it is gluten free and salt. Use warm water to knead the dough as warm water helps binding the dough better.
Further, divide and roll into roti and cook on a non-stick tava. Cook until blisters appear on both the sides and then cook on an open flame. Serve plain nachni roti immediately.
You should be able to roll these plain nachni rotis comfortably with a little flour for dusting. But, if you find it difficult, you can place the dough portions between two plastic sheets dusted with ragi flour and roll, so it will be easier.
Also, take care to use flat tongs as these rotis are soft and hence known as soft ragi rotis, with a tendency to tear easily. Serve soft ragi rotis hot off the flame for a satiating and earthy meal!
Even then, it still requires a bit of knack to roll nachni dough. Not to worry, once you roll a few rotis you will get a hang of it. One thing about Basic Ragi Roti, or for that matter any other roti made with millet flours, is that it needs to be served immediately – in fact, it is best enjoyed right off the tava, with a bowl of Raita and a spicy Dal.
Enjoy plain ragi roti recipe | soft ragi roti |plain nachni roti | gluten-free nachni roti | with detailed step by step recipes photos below.
- To make plain ragi roti recipe, combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough using enough warm water.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into a 125 mm. (5”) diameter using a little ragi flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) on a medium flame and when hot, place the roti gently over it.
- Cook it till small blisters appear on the surface. Turn over the roti and cook for few more seconds.
- Cook it on an open flame till it puffs up and brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Repeat steps 3 to 6 to make 3 more rotis.
- Serve the plain ragi roti immediately.
Basic Ragi Roti, Nachni Roti video by Tarla Dalal
Plain Ragi Roti, Plain Nachni Roti recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per roti
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.