How many calories does one Indian Vegetable Cutlets have?
One Indian Vegetable Cutlets gives 165 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 70 calories, proteins account for 9 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 86 calories. one Indian Vegetable Cutlets provides about 8 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See veg cutlet recipe | Vegetable cutlet | Indian style veg cutlet | mixed vegetable cutlet | with 22 amazing images.
Vegetable Cutlet is a snack, appetiser and also a Indian roadside food. It is crisp from outside and soft from inside and one of the best evening tea time snack.
We have cooked vegetables like potatoes, fansi, carrots and cabbage in oil and perked it up with spices and other flavourful ingredients. Then Vegetable Cutlets are flattened into small rounds and either deep-fried or shallow-fried in a tava with little oil, to make irresistibly tasty cutlets!
Cutlet is an snack which is originated from India and it is also known as Tikki. There are many variations to cutlets. You can make Vegetable Cutlets with paneer, green peas, beetroot or any vegetable. Check our collection of vegetable cutlet recipes and popular Brinjal Cutlets and Vegetable Maggi Cutlets recipes.
Vegetable Cutlet is also a very famous for being served in Indian railways with breads. It can be put inside a burger bun and eaten directly with ketchup or chutney. Check the Indian Railways Cutlet Sandwichrecipe.
Indian Railways Veg Cutlet Sandwich
You can serve Vegetable Cutlet to your kid who don't like vegetables, as the cutlet is eye appealing. My favourite recipe using this Vegetable Cutlet is Veggie Burger.
Is Vegetable Cutlets healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
French Beans ( Fansi ) : French Beans is rich in folic acid. A deficiency of folic acid can also lead to anaemia, as like iron they are equally necessary to make red blood cells. Without enough folic acid, you can get easily tired. Pregnant women can also benefit from its folic acid count. It’s effective to achieve weight loss, overcome constipation, control blood sugar levels, treat high cholesterol as well as prevent cancer. See here for detailed 15 benefits of french beans.
Carrots (gajjar) : Carrots have the nutrient Beta Carotene which is a form of Vitamin A, helps prevent deterioration of the eye as one gets older and prevents night blindness. Carrot is great for the eyes.They relieve constipation, lower blood pressure, have fibre and lower cholesterol. Read the 11 super benefiits of carrots and why to include in your daily diet.
Cabbage ( Patta Gobhi + Red Cabbage) : Cabbage is low in calories, relieves constipation, good for diabetics. Cabbage has high levels of flavonoids and anthocyanins and has long been used as a herbal medicine. Rich in Antioxidants in turn lowers the risk of infection and inflammation of the body due to eating processed foods. Red cabbage also called purple cabbage has slightly high levels of flavonoids and anthocyanins than green cabbage and has long been used as a herbal medicine. It has same health benefits to offer as the cabbage otherwise.See here all benefits of cabbage.
Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin in Onions promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
Turmeric Powder (Haldi) : Turmeric helps in digestion of food thus helping to overcome indigestion. Haldi may help in reducing the growth of fat cells in the body. Turmeric, being rich in iron, is highly valuable in the treatment of anaemia and both the root as well as the powder should be a regular part of an anaemic diet. One of the health benefits of turmeric is it’s anti-inflammatory property due to the active compound, Curcumin, which helps to relieve inflammation of the joints and thus is a ladder to relieve pain related to arthritis. The curcumin in haldi also helps to ward of the bacteria’s causing cold, cough and throat irritation. Turmeric benefits in diabetes management by lowering blood glucose levels. Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects are useful in the treatment of diabetes patients. It is known to be a good brain food and keep diseases like Alzheimer’s at bay. See here for detailed turmeric benefits.
Red chilli powder : Red chilli powder can set the taste buds on fire, and sometimes the tummy too! It is basically a spice blend consisting of one or two types of dried red chillies that are ground and pulverized into a fine powder. It is generally used to add spice to otherwise bland foods.
What's the problem?
Potatoes (Aloo) : Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity. Potatoes are recommended for malnourished children and people with low weight. See full details on why potatoes are bad for you.
Vegetable Oils : To some vegetable oil is only soyabean oil, while some promote it as a mix of oils like soyabean, canola, sunflower, corn and other omega-6 rich oils. These are often cheaper options than many oils, but they are highly processed oils. They are undoubtedly not to be reached out for, whether you are looking for salad dressings, sautéing or cooking. The 5 best oils used in cooking are olive oil (low temperature short time cooking), avocado oil, canola oil, coconut oil and peanut oil. You must read the super article to find the facts of which oil is the healthiest avoid vegetable oil.
Plain flour (maida) : This recipe uses plain flour or maida which is refined carb not suitable for healthy lifestyle. Maida consumption in any food should be totally avoided or use in very small quantities as any consumption of this will cause a larger spike in blood sugar levels which is not good for diabetics, heart patients. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. Read is maida good for you to understand fully.
Bread crumbs : Bread crumbs are made by processing bread into a coarse or fine powder. It is usually made from leftover bread and is a good way of avoiding wastage. It is usually light pink or light brown in colour. If made from toasted or dried bread, the resulting powder is fine. If ground from fresh bread, it is white in colour and crumbly in texture.
Note : 1 cup = 200 ml (standard cup available in the market). The weight in grams varies for each ingredient.
Can diabetics, heart patients and overweight individuals have Vegetable Cutlets?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. This recipe is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Processed food, Deep Fried Foods also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process. Most diseases from heart, to cardio vascular, diabetes, parkinsons, alzheimer, cancer and obesity result when the cells get inflamed and don't then function correctly. Inflammation in the arteries can cause heart attacks. So your diet should contain foods that fight inflammation in the body. That's how your body gets healthier by eating the right stuff..
Can healthy individuals have Vegetable Cutlets?
No, It is not healthy. Better to avoid it.
Here are some Healthy Indian snack options.
You can have Baked Samosa with mixed sprouts, Matarsutir Kachori, Oats Moong Dal Tikki, Baked methi muthia recipe, Zunka recipe, moong dal dhokla recipe, bajra carrot onion uttapam recipe , baked palak jowar murukku, mini jowar pancakes, oats upma, baked sev , baked whole wheat puris, paneer pudina tikki or buckwheat pancake as one healthy recipe option.
Oats Moong Dal Tikki
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet.
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
Skip having Indian junk foods like pav bhaji, bata vada, pakoras, gulab jamun as they cause your body to have insulance resistance. The resultant is your body will store more carbohydrates as fats, causing storage of fat in the stomach causing a paunch and slowing down of our fat burning process. So its a bad cyle which causes you more more hunger and fatigue every time you eat junk food.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds. Stress. The easiest way to kill your immune system is chronic stress.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym. No activity reduces muscle tissue which will lead to muscke loss and all kinds of problems with that. Workout builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover and makes you look much younger. Also getting good sleep prevent muscle loss, builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
Vegetable Cutlets is high in
Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 165 calories that come from Vegetable Cutlets?
Walking (6 kmph) = 50 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 17 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 22 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 28 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.