Cooked Rice Idli
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 311 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 91733 times
These super-soft idlis are made with a combination of readymade idli rava and cooked rice along with fluffy, wet-ground urad dal.
It is easier to prepare this idli compared to the traditional one, as you need to soak wet-grind only the urad dal. It is also a relatively foolproof method that is sure to yield appetizingly white, bouncy soft idlis.
However, since it makes use of cooked rice, it is not advisable to keep the fermented batter for more than a day or two.
- Combine the urad dal, fenugreek seeds and enough water in a deep bowl and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside to soak for 2 hours. Wash and drain well.
- Add the cooked rice and blend in a mixer to a smooth mixture using approx. 1½ cups of water.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the rice semolina and salt and mix very well. Cover it with a lid and keep aside to ferment in a warm place for 10 to 12 hours.
- After fermentation, mix the batter well once again and pour spoonfuls of batter into each of the greased idli moulds.
- Steam in an idli steamer for 10 minutes or till they are cooked.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make more idlis.
- Allow the idlis to cool slightly and demould them.
- Serve hot with sambhar, coconut chutney and tomato chutney.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.