Cooked Rice Idli
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 284 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 73440 times
These super-soft idlis are made with a combination of readymade rice rava and cooked rice along with fluffy, wet-ground urad dal. It is easier to prepare this idli compared to the traditional one, as you need to soak wet-grind only the urad dal. It is also a relatively foolproof method that is sure to yield appetizingly white, bouncy soft idlis. However, since it makes use of cooked rice, it is not advisable to keep the fermented batter for more than a day or two.
- Combine the urad dal and fenugreek seeds in a deep bowl, soak it in enough water for 2 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the urad dal, fenugreek seeds and the cooked rice and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using approx. 1½ cups of water.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the idli rava and salt, mix it very well and cover it with a lid and ferment in a warm place for 10 to 12 hours.
- Grease the idli moulds using oil and put spoonfuls of batter into them.
- Steam in an idli steamer for 10 minutes or till they are cooked.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make more idlis.
- Serve hot with sambhar and coconut chutney.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.