by Tarla Dalal
Added to 88 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 70582 times
Idli is the first dish that comes to mind when one thinks of South Indian cuisine. Not without reason – this easy-to-digest and wholesome dish is perfect to have at any time of the day, for breakfast, evening snacks or dinner.
Barley Idli is a modified version of this traditional snack, which uses a batter of barley, rice and urad dal. Assorted veggies add a splash of colours, flavours and of course more nutrition to this zero-oil snack. Serve the Barley Idlis immediately with Sambhar . To keep the snack totally oil-free, wet the idli moulds with water instead of greasing with oil.
- Wash and soak the parboiled rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds in a deep bowl in enough water for 2 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Wash and soak the barley separately in a bowl in enough water for 2 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the parboiled rice, urad dal, fenugreek seeds and and barley in a mixer to a smooth paste using approx. 1½ cups of water.
- Transfer the paste into a deep bowl, add the salt and mix well.
- Cover it with a lid and keep the batter aside to ferment for 4 hours.
- After fermentation, mix the batter well once again.
- Wet the idli moulds with a little water and pour spoonfuls of the batter into each of the idli moulds.
- Sprinkle a few mixed vegetables over each idli.
- Steam in an idli steamer for 12 minutes or till they are cooked.
- Repeat steps 7 to 9 to make more idlis.
- Serve immediately with sambhar.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 35 kcal|
|Protein|| 1.3 gm|
|Carbohydrate|| 7.4 gm|
|Invisible fat|| 0.1 gm|
|Fibre|| 0.6 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.