Double Decker Idlis Stuffed with Potato and Chutney
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 212 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 47546 times
In South India, idli is everyday fare, made once a day or sometimes even more frequently. As a result, nobody gives it a second thought.
However, this recipe will make you stop and pay some attention to the versatility of the humble idli. In this yummy recipe, we have cooked the idli batter with a layer of tasty potato bhaji and coconut chutney.
Both being tongue-tickling delights, they transform the idlis into a super duper snack that will be loved by young and old alike.
The Double Decker Idlis Stuffed with Potato and Chutney is not only tasty but also filling, so you can serve it as a sumptuous tea-time snack to keep your kids and family satiated till dinner time.
Alternatively, you can even cut it into twos or fours and serve as a starter. Allow the idlis to cool slightly after cooking, otherwise it will be difficult to demould them.
Try other idli based treats like the Stuffed Spinach Idli and the Stuffed Rava Stuffed Rava Idli Vegetable Sandwich .
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and urad dal and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the curry leaves, green chillies, asafoetida, turmeric powder and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, chilli powder, coriander and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally. Discard the green chillies and keep aside.
- Grease the idli stand with a little oil and put 1 tbsp of the idli batter in each mould and spread it lightly.
- Put ½ tsp of the prepared coconut chutney and 1 tsp of the potato bhaji.
- Cover it with ½ tbsp of idli batter over the bhaji in each mould. Steam in a steamer for 12 minutes or till the idlis are cooked.
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 to make more idlis.
- Allow the idlis to cool slightly and demould them.
- Serve warm with sambhar and coconut chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per idli
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.